Prescription swim goggles?

Looking to purchase a set of prescription swim goggles for my S.O., and was curious to hear what rx goggles you have tried or used that are good. I admit I am a bit in the dark when it comes to prescription eye-wear. Speedo appears to make prescription swim goggles with the Vanquishers, and SwimOutlet makes a good guide outlining how to pick out a good pair, but was curious to hear first-hand experiences with them.
  • Are you near or far sighted? Most are near as am I. A step or 2 down from your prescription should be ok to use. Remember, water magnifies things. They are about $20 -25 U S D and can be purchased for speedo or other swim sellers. Try swim outlet for one. I have one for meets and one for swim practice.
  • I think the Speedos go to -6.00. Forget the step sizes, seems it may be by 0.50 until -4.00? Just don't recall. There are others available all of the way to -10.00. I think that those are available piecemeal, meaning you can get different powers for each side, for those of us who weren't even (the Speedo's are sold as pairs, so can't do that). My girls are both in the -11.00 range, and they always got as close to their power as they could. They found they just couldn't see as well when they got past the -6.00 until we replaced them with teh other ones. They do wear contacts, now, though. I have pictures when they were younger walking around wearing their goggles all of the time at meets, etc. when all the other kids had taken off theirs. In our experience, if you have a local swim shop, they often carry the full range of the Speedo's. NOt the case with the others, we had to order them, and they took months to come in (we ended up ordering through Swim Outlet a week before a meet because we gave up). But you could try there and see what your SO thinks just trying on them. Good luck!
  • I like the TYR for open water as the gasket is softer for longer swims (it all seems too much straps and bulkiness for pool racing). Potentially you could switch out the eyes if you had different eye diopters m.swimoutlet.com/.../ Speedo gaskets are too hard on my eye sockets. I don't use prescription for pool racing. I have a bunch (perhaps the final supply on earth) of foam gasket hind goggles (not prescription). I've given up on them though as the 25 year plastic nose pieces kept blowing up on me in races.
  • I used last months contacts for meets in case I lost them . I only once, had my goggles come off and swam the race with one eye closed to keep the other contact in!!