Foam Roller

Went to a clinic given by Anthony Ervin a few months ago and he swears by foam rollers as part of his warm up before training. Today, my yoga instructor also recommended getting one. Seems like it's time to invest in one. She (yoga) said that I didn't need to get a long one and Anthony Ervin didn't say what kind he would recommend. Anyone have experience with foam rollers and can recommend a type to get and exercises or videos to follow? Thanks.
  • Went to a clinic given by Anthony Ervin a few months ago and he swears by foam rollers as part of his warm up before training. Today, my yoga instructor also recommended getting one. Seems like it's time to invest in one. She (yoga) said that I didn't need to get a long one and Anthony Ervin didn't say what kind he would recommend. Anyone have experience with foam rollers and can recommend a type to get and exercises or videos to follow? Thanks. I LOVE my foam roller! I take it with me when I travel, and I always bring it to a swim meet to use before I warm up. (I also do yoga after I swim, and the combination of the two is great!) Start with a softer roller, because you need to work up to using a firm one on your muscles. Otherwise, it will hurt like $#&* if you use a hard one straight away. Check out videos on YouTube on how to use a roller properly, although AVOID the part where they show you how to roll the lower back. DO NOT use it on your lower back at all! Your lower spine is not supported by your rib cage like your thoracic spine is, so you run the risk of injuring yourself. As for a brand, I don't have a recommendation. because I'm not sure mine are any better or worse than others. I have never used any other ones but my own, so I have never compared them.
  • I roll out every other day for part of my preworkout routine. I have a Trigger Point roller. Nice buy from Target. www.target.com/.../A-52634449
  • Thanks for the tips ElainK. I've tried them at my gym and know that they hurt like the dickens. I didn't know there were softer ones. Also, thanks for the caution about the lower back. I've refrained from using them at my gym because I've been afraid of injuring myself. I go to a yoga class about 3 times a week but never thought of doing yoga after a swim workout. Usually ready for a cocktail by then!
  • Thanks for the recommendation Calvin S.
  • Thanks for the tips ElainK. I've tried them at my gym and know that they hurt like the dickens. I didn't know there were softer ones. Also, thanks for the caution about the lower back. I've refrained from using them at my gym because I've been afraid of injuring myself. I go to a yoga class about 3 times a week but never thought of doing yoga after a swim workout. Usually ready for a cocktail by then! I like doing yoga after my swim, because I am already very loose, and the air is warm on the pool deck. It's a great way to stretch out post-swim!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I am new to this website (just joined this week) and have been perusing the discussions. This piqued my interest because I too took a couple of clinics from Tony Ervin (LOVE HIM!) and I totally agree with his advice on the roller. Take the time to look up information on the MELT roller (as well as the MELT method). I've taken SEVERAL different classes given by personal trainers as well as other roller technicians who swear by the MELT roller. It is definitely softer but still very effective. It's a lot easier to hurt yourself with some of the others. It's worth doing the little extra research before throwing away hard earned cash.
  • I need a good video of how to roll out. Sometimes it just feels like I am doing it wrong (or working way too hard to do it). YouTube has a bunch; however, I would check the source for a qualified instructor. Here is one put out by the Cleveland Clinic: www.youtube.com/watch There are several other videos posted by the Mayo Clinic, and there was one by WebMD. All three sources are qualified. I would also trust videos posted by a physical therapist or certified trainer.
  • I have a love-hate relationship with my roller. It hurts so good, y'know? I've been seeing a heated roller popping up in my FB feed lately and have wondered how well that would work.
  • I need a good video of how to roll out. Sometimes it just feels like I am doing it wrong (or working way too hard to do it).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I love the foam roller. I use it on my non-swim days as part of my general stretching routine. I really should use it more. Definitely start with the softer ones, then move up.