Masks at LC Nationals in October 2021

I just read the information on this page regarding masking:

https://www.usms.org/events/national-championships/pool-national-championships/2021-pool-national-championships/2021-long-course-national-championship/2021-long-course-nationals-covid-19-protocols

Will they be giving out masks at the event so you can put one on after the race? I was a little surprised that vaccinations will not be required as it is an indoor event. Any further information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Parents Reply Children
  • I wanted to go to that meet. The risk just seemed to great what with plane rides and hotels etc. Requiring vaccinations would have alienated some people, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right thing to do. I don’t see how I can in good conscience go to a meet until vaccinations are required or my grandkids are eligible to be vaccinated. I really love meets, but I’m not dying to go 

• I wanted to go to that meet. The risk just seemed to great what with plane rides and hotels etc. Requiring vaccinations would have alienated some people, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right thing to do. I don’t see how I can in good conscience go to a meet until vaccinations are required or my grandkids are eligible to be vaccinated. I really love meets, but I’m not dying to go 

• I wanted to go to that meet. The risk just seemed to great what with plane rides and hotels etc. Requiring vaccinations would have alienated some people, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right thing to do. I don’t see how I can in good conscience go to a meet until vaccinations are required or my grandkids are eligible to be vaccinated. I really love meets, but I’m not dying to go. My daughter’s supervisor was a man his 40s with kids. Everyone liked him. He was vaccinated. He got COVID anyway. He got an unusual complication and died. She called me about this 2 days ago so I guess I’m more emotional than usual. Get your shots wear your masks and be careful 

• Personal decision for some, however I just received a lawful order to be  vaccinated by  October and fully vax'd by November (if already done just need your documentation) I was expecting this for awhile, just didn't think it would take as long as it did.   I however can't elaborate whether I am for, or against this executive mandate. 

What does have me concerned are the varying strains we see popping up, 11+ so far?

• I have a lot of concerns now about this meet. I just want to know that people will actively be wearing masks on deck. I just went to an OWS event and even though the emails said masks that frankly wasn't the case. I'm from NY and it's a vastly different experience as you start to travel out of state. When I was called back to my office in July I made the personal decision to only take off my mask outside the building and at my desk in my cube with 6 foot walls. Everyone at my job walked around without a mask the 1st 2 weeks. Then someone contracted COVID and everyone had their mask back on like me lol. I can't control what other people do but it would be nice to know that we are taking all precautions. 

• Not planning on doing this meet, but concerning masks It would likely be that everyone not actively swimming or on the blocks will have a mask on. That's how it was last December for a SCM meet in SC.  The mask is just a small part of preventing the spread of this nasty bug anyway.

In reality, someone will likely infect another person at this meet, or in its preparation, or during  travel involved, despite whether masks worn or not.

• Sorry to hear this!  I also will wait till it is safer!!  Another meet or medal is not worth the risk for me.