2018 Spring Nationals SCY vs SCM

There is a question of whether to have 2018 Nats in Indy SCY or SCM. What do you think?
  • I know this will sound a lot like, "if I don't get my way, I'm going to take my ball and go home," but it it not meant to be. I have never swum a short course meters meet in my life and have no interest in making Nationals my first one. I would have no frame of reference for any times, no knowledge or feel for the extra distance and no way to prepare for any of this. One of my primary rules for major competitions is "Never try anything for the first time." Competing at a distance I have literally never swum seems just silly to me. So, if the committee decides the format will be scm, I guess I will have a relaxing year and train for 2019
  • You needed to add another option: "No preference". ;)
  • Polls can be informative but there is nothing like an actual experiment. It seems to me that if the host is willing, then Indy is the perfect place to see if the host will take a hit by opting for SCM.
  • I know this will sound a lot like, "if I don't get my way, I'm going to take my ball and go home," but it it not meant to be. I have never swum a short course meters meet in my life and have no interest in making Nationals my first one. I would have no frame of reference for any times, no knowledge or feel for the extra distance and no way to prepare for any of this. One of my primary rules for major competitions is "Never try anything for the first time." Competing at a distance I have literally never swum seems just silly to me. So, if the committee decides the format will be scm, I guess I will have a relaxing year and train for 2019 No reference for times is valid but otherwise I think you are making too much of the difference in courses. In terms of "no way to prepare" for SCM, that's just not true. You prepare for SCM the same way you prepare for SCY. Perhaps the most significant difference is the backstroke flags (at 5m instead of 5y), which -- if you are a backstroker -- maybe means going to a LCM pool to adjust. (But it isn't that hard.) Our summer league swimmers somehow manage to switch back and forth between SCM and SCY (we have a mix of pools in our league) just fine.
  • SCM with the 400 Free & Medley Relays. Yes, and the 800 free relay!!!
  • ...I have never swum a short course meters meet in my life...Sounds like a recipe for ALL BEST TIMES!
  • Would be awesome to have SCM but if I were a betting man my money is on it being SCY.
  • One of the best things about SCM is the relay format of adding up the participant ages. This is a boon to smaller teams that will have much more flexibility in fielding a relay. Also, this gives you your best opportunity for a FINA world wide ranking. Further, it's more fun to be at a meet where world records are possible.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    I agree with Rich Abrahams...If you want make to a FINA ranking, you have to swim your times at SCM.