Backstroke Ledge at Nationals ?

I've asked one of the meet directors if the ledge would be available for the meet in Greensboro and received the answer. No. Certainly not what I expected. Last year in San Antonio, after having them available on Wed and distance day on Thurs they were removed. I spoke with the Colorado Timing rep that was at the meet who was also disappointed and had hoped they would be available this year. Has anyone ever seen/used the ledge at a masters, high school or college meet ? I have seen them at the elite Meets but no where else. When the Nationals roll around it will be almost 2 years since they were approved. I wonder how long it will be before we are able to use them ?
  • the range of the ledge according to the rules: adjustable 4 centimeters above or below the surface of the water ( 1.5+ inches) ... i remember the colorado timing ledges at san antonio as being able to go well below that ... i used it for practice as high as i could go and not put/curl my toes over the gutter (still against the rules) ... i wanted to get my butt as high as possible so on the start i could actually attempt to get it (my butt) airborne as opposed to plowing thru water as i currently do because i keep my feet lower to prevent slipping ... colorado timing ledges do not lock in place, once you pull it down you have to get a foot on it to secure it, it then retracts automatically after the start ... omega ledges lock into place at the start but do not retract, an official must pull them back up ... if they are supplied at a meet there use is not required
  • Going off on a bit of a tangent, the prices for the backstroke ledges are beyond absurdly high. Gotta love that oligopoly! Back on track, I tried the backstroke ledges in the diving well at San Antonio and honestly wasn't that impressed. The two I tried malfunctioned--one wouldn't go down more than about 9 inches underwater, and the other wouldn't lock in place once I pulled it down. I did a total of 8 starts with them and wasn't super impressed. Didn't have problems with slipping, but it made me put my feet in different positions than normal for the start. Maybe something like Myrtha's (also absurdly priced) backstroke ledge would work better in my case, but I'm not heartbroken that we don't get ledges this time around.
  • I was looking forward to using them - maybe some meet in the future.
  • USMS April Streamlines has a nice video on how to use the Colorado Timing "Backstroke Ledge" ... out today. One of these years ! .... .... .... May i make a correction, after receiving a National meet update just now -- "Backstroke Ledges" will be in use for the meet !!!!
  • USMS April Streamlines has a nice video on how to use the Colorado Timing "Backstroke Ledge" ... out today. One of these years ! .... .... .... May i make a correction, after receiving a National meet update just now -- "Backstroke Ledges" will be in use for the meet !!!! I'm not getting meet updates via email (or the Streamlines), odd. I will have to search for the video. So for sure the ledges will be in use at nationals?
  • Here is the pertinent info from update # 1 files.ctctcdn.com/.../278b6e9b-256e-46f3-a689-e26878f643a0.jpg static.ctctcdn.com/.../S.gif Facility Information The Venue The Greensboro Aquatic Center, which opened in 2011, is one of the United States' premier indoor aquatic facilities. If you participated in the 2012 USMS Spring Championships, then you already know what a fantastic facility it is. The GAC features three pools--a 50-meter x 25-yard competition pool, a diving well, and an instructional pool. Colorado Time Systems backstroke ledges will be in use at this meet. See our Backstroke Start Device instructional video on this great feature. The ledges will be in place on Wednesday afternoon for the warm-up period for practice. The competition pool will be divided by twin bulkheads into two, 10-lane courses for the meet. The depth of the competition pool is 9 to 10 feet throughout. All lanes are 7-feet wide. The competition pool opens at 6 a.m. each day of the meet. The warm-up pools will be open starting at 7 a.m. and there will be 13 lanes for warm-up in the diving well and instructional pools during competition.
  • I still would like to try them. Will there be any in the warm up lanes at any time?
  • so stoked the backstroke ledges will be there! Thanks to whoever made that happen!
  • I used it for the 200 back. Easy to adjust and friendly to use at the start of a race. I tried learning how to adjust it in the diving well before the race use. If you pull it down from the center rather from the side, it pulls down level . I used it for both medley relays and the 200 back. I agree it was very easy to use and I pulled it all the way out, placed my feet where I wanted them and let it come up under my feet. It's was definitely an advantage. Now how long before FINA decides to take them away?
  • I used it for the 200 back. Easy to adjust and friendly to use at the start of a race. I tried learning how to adjust it in the diving well before the race use. If you pull it down from the center rather from the side, it pulls down level .