man from atlantis at natl's?

Former Member
Former Member
how many remember the old tv show "man from atlantis" ? there was a rumor that masters speedster TOM REUDY, was the guy who actually did the swimming for the star of the show. hey TOM, any truth to the rumor?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 16 years ago
    wow.. i wasn't expecting that. how in the heck did you find that out? i'm amazed how many people still remember the show. well to answer your question, yes i was patrick duffy's stunt double on the show. which basically meant i did most of the swimming for him. i think i was a mere 22 yrs. old. it was a great experience. but it turned out to be a lot more difficult than i thought. we did a lot of the shooting in catalina. which of course sounds pretty nice. however it was winter and the temp. in the water was 57 degrees!! and i hate cold water. anyway i got thru it. and of course the money i made warmed me up considerably. thanks for bringing back the memory.
  • Cool factoid. I remember the show well and can still picture the underwater dolphin. Maybe that's why I swim butterfly now? I was young and impressionable at the time. Hmm...
  • I loved the Man from Atlantis!! I teach a competetive swim class at the local college and teach the 'Man from Atlantis' stroke! Most of the swimmers remember this show fondly! It would be really cool to meet you in that you are the one I used to mimic as a child. Now I can dolphin kick (with zoomers) faster than I can swim!
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 16 years ago
    That underwater footage is what inspired me as a kid. Thanks Tom Reudy.
  • Hi Tom, Man from Atlantis! You are too cool. I always wondered how you zipped by all your competititors (myself included) in those world record setting IM swims. It is an honor to swim with you! Philipp
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 15 years ago
    Okay, Tom Reudy, I just saw a Biography on Patrick Duffy and googled Man From Atlantis. Are you the Tom Reudy that grew up in Millbrae? If so, I grew up two blocks from you, graduated from Cap, and swam for Ron Vella and Charlie Sava. Mark Sanchez taught me how to do the Butterfly when I was six. My two brothers and I still call the dive that we do, "The Reudy." If this is you, I just wanted to say hello and ask how Ray is. I heard it through the grapevine that he was dangerously ill lately. He remains in my prayers. - Just curious - I hope I didn't bother you.
  • I grew up in South City. I didn't know Tom Reudy was from Millbrae. How cool!
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hi Tom Reudy, Do you have more information and bibliography about you ? I did not know that you were the real "Man from Atlantis" ;) For me the Dolphin double kicks (with arm kick) is more speed that the classic dolphin kick ! You can see here: forums.usms.org/showthread.php