Swim and Gym

Former Member
Former Member
I went to the gym today and after i did my hour workout i went for a swim and i must say after all that my body was absolutely exhausted. Now my questions are: IS swimming after a gym session a good idea? IS swimming before a gym session a good idea? IS swimming at all a good idea if im trying to lose weight?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Weights followed by a swim a few hours later has been my Saturday routine for quite some time now. I don't feel that the weight workout affects my swim at all since soreness from weights doesn't set in until the day after. I really enjoy my Saturdays. I also very much like the feeling of complete exhaustion at the end of the two workouts. I've never done it in the reverse order.
  • First, if you lift weights first, you definitely need a long, slow warm-up. Second, it takes some time, but your body will adapt to the double workout. You will get stronger and your swimming will improve. Like so much in swimming, it takes time for your body to adjust, but it will.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Before I joined a Masters Swimming Program, I worked out at a gym which had a weight room and a pool. I would swim freestyle 500-1000 meters, immediately changed into dry clothes and perform a weight workout. The swim was the best warm up I ever did. After a masters type workout, switching to weights would be amazing. I would ensure you drink a lot of water before, during and after your swim and keep set count low (2-3) to make sure you can get to each exercise in your routine before fatigue sets in. Use lower weight as well and make sure the fatigue doesn't affect your technique. Same can be done with running after swimming.
  • I swim m- w sun & go to the gym on t th -fri. I have tried double workouts but, my old body does not like them. When I was younger I did 2's and did adjust.