Lost in the new forums

Am I the only one or is navigation of the new forums really confusing? When I open the app, there seems to be a mishmash of titles, most of which are 3 or 4 years old. 

Is there something I am missing - or is the new forum software really bad?

• you are not alone. I also try to reply to a topic and see "last reply - 1 year ago"

• No, I don't like it at all.  And judging by the traffic, I'd say a  lot of people aren't bothering.

• I think there's almost too much organization.  Having tried this a little more now, there's really only a need for two "top level" categories:

• Let's talk swimming
    • Let's talk other stuff

Then give people the freedom to create threads under each. 

I'll keep trying, but there was nothing wrong, from a user standpoint, with the old Forums ... it was just a marketing / "drive traffic" there issue.

• agreed!!!!!!!! Also, it seems even the people with USMS can't post links, and how can we post videos, I can't figure out how to do PMs either. Arrrrrggg

• Allen - You can find the PMs here:

I think your settings might be awkward though because I tried to send you a message to test and I'm not allowed to.  If you want to open your PMs, you have to go to your profile (click your picture at the top and then click your name), go to "community settings" on the right side, then scroll down to "allow private messages from."

• , the user interface with the old forums had a number of major issues. The primary one was the lack of single sign on for and integration between the forums and My USMS.  Those of you that used the old forums for years didn't see those issues but anyone that has joined in recent years had a terrible time getting into the forums and linking accounts. That became a catch-22 for marketing and driving traffic to them. 

• , the user interface with the old forums had a number of major issues. The primary one was the lack of single sign on for and integration between the forums and My USMS.  Those of you that used the old forums for years didn't see those issues but anyone that has joined in recent years had a terrible time getting into the forums and linking accounts. That became a catch-22 for marketing and driving traffic to them. 

• I want to be very clear that I am glad the forums are back and glad they are getting publicity. I don't know the difficulies with the old forum, but I am sure it was old technology. I am glad the forums are being monitored and updates can occur. I do complain at times, but I do that so that the people that can make changes can know what I think should be changed. In that spirit, I finally found the settings for PMs and found the default setting was for friends only. Since we are just learning how to friend, I think the default should be for everyone. 

Also, how do we post a link and how do we post a video?

• and - You can also find private messaging if you hover over any of the hyperlinked profile names/ member IDs, among the other options of friending and following.