Discussion Forums will be under contruction starting Mar. 17

On Wednesday, March 17, the USMS Discussion Forums will be shut down in preparation for our move to a new platform with updated functionality and features. This new platform, which will be rebranded USMS Community, will be launched on March 30. Community will include discussion groups, forums, and threads in a modern environment that we hope more USMS members will use to connect with fellow swimmers. We will slowly roll out additional changes so we can gather feedback and make strategic adjustments. Community will also allow for more robust profile details, recognition of achievements through badges, and management of some membership information. Forums and forum threads from the current USMS Discussion Forums will be transitioned into Community. Usernames will be included for all posts from USMS members who originally linked their forums account to their USMS membership record, including those who arenâ€Tmt currently members. However, users who were never USMS members will lose the link to their posts; all of those posts will be from a generic username. Some forums that havenâ€Tmt been active for a while will be archived. After reviewing the Discussion Forums posts, weâ€Tmll be enhancing the forum structure to make it easier to follow certain topics and more clearly define areas. Community will also be a membership benefit, so only USMS members will be able to contribute. Some of the Community functionality will be similar. But like with any new software, adjusting to the interface can take some time. Blogs, images, documents, post links, emojis, and formatting, as well as profile information, wonâ€Tmt be transitioned to the new platform. As a part of the Community upgrade, we have also enhanced a few other areas to make My USMS-Community integration, site navigation, and membership self-service easier. We will send out more information and FAQs in the coming weeks. The important dates to note are: - March 17: USMS Discussion Forums will be shut down - March 30: USMS Community will tentatively be soft launched - April 5: USMS Community will be publicly launched and announced We want to thank you for your patience and canâ€Tmt wait to connect, learn, and share with you in our new USMS Community. Your Friends at U.S. Masters Swimming
  • I'm looking forward to the new upgrade. I hope the forums can return to prominence. I am concerned with the loss of "Blogs, images, documents, post links, emojis, and formatting, as well as profile information" Is there going to be a way to access that data? I agree. I had (incorrectly) assumed that ALL of the discussion forum content would migrate. Hey, speaking of those emojis, are you going to keep the current awesome collection? Please do! I would be :cry:if I lost my favorites: :ohyeah::bliss::cheerleader::chug::groovy::wave::wiggle:
  • OO NOOO! Who will walk this old man thru the "re sign up"? Maybe I can find my orca stuff again.
  • “I think” this is how you do it. While logged into USMS forums click on “Settings” in the upper RIGHT corner. Then... In the LEFT column, click on “My Account” On that page, make sure the box “U.S. Masters Swimmer Members” is selected to “Identify me as a member of this group.” You may need to log off, and then log back into the forums for the swimmer icon to show up. If this isnâ€Tmt the correct procedure could someone please correct me. Thanks, Dan For those of you who haven't done it yet, follow the steps above; however, under "My Account" you will need to look for "Permission Groups" and click on it to find that box. Meanwhile, Skuj, I will be sorry to see you go! Thanks for your contributions to the forums. To King Frog, 67, pwb, and (most of) the rest of you who will be returning, have a great two weeks! See you at the end of the month! :wave:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Oh dear. Is this where I say goodbye then? (I'm not a USMS member.) Where is the damn Canadian Swimming Forum? (Not related, but I'll toss it out before shutdown: I swam a 100m PR yesterday. 1:16.0) Goodbye then. I love you all. (Well, most of you anyway.)
  • I'm looking forward to the new upgrade. I hope the forums can return to prominence. I am concerned with the loss of "Blogs, images, documents, post links, emojis, and formatting, as well as profile information" Is there going to be a way to access that data?
  • Guess I need to figure out how to link my USMS account to my username in pretty short order, then! I assume it isn't since I don't have the little swimmer dude by my name. I know that the workouts have transitioned, I personally still look back over old ones here for my workouts. Will those be preserved, too, or will they be eliminated?
  • “I think” this is how you do it. While logged into USMS forums click on “Settings” in the upper RIGHT corner. Then... In the LEFT column, click on “My Account” On that page, make sure the box “U.S. Masters Swimmer Members” is selected to “Identify me as a member of this group.” You may need to log off, and then log back into the forums for the swimmer icon to show up. If this isnâ€Tmt the correct procedure could someone please correct me. Thanks, Dan Cool, looks like it worked! And no logout/login required, either.
  • Iâ€Tmve swum in meets in BC with USMS membership.
  • Former Member
    Thanks pwb. I understand the fracture. Just joining BC Masters confused me. I sent money to one of those national groups....for some reason?.....but I didn't really need to. And I have no idea how that national group benefitted me. (What have the Romans ever done for us?) To be perfectly honest, I'll never do a meet outside Vancouver Island. This forum has been very important/helpful to this newbie. I've learned a hell of a lot. Thank you all. I'm shocked that there is no other equivalent!! I looked at UK Swimming, TI, some others.......just not like this place. Maybe I'll pay the 60 bucks so that I can continue to torment you all. (It is 60, right?) :)
  • Former Member
    (Wait: If I become a USMS member, can I enter the BC Masters meets with only USMS affiliation? If that is the case, I will gladly be USMS because a) this forum, and b) the confusion that I still have regarding BC Masters registration.)