Are your pools open or closed

Our pools were open mid-August until the surge in mid-November. They were only opened then thanks to lobbying by swim coaches and swimmers. Closed now and my local pool says it will not open before 1/1/21 at the earliest. What is happening where you are?
  • On edit, I really should not opine. There appears to be nothing that will close anything in the state of Tennessee right now.
  • Here in Rhode Island they are currently closed. They were open in the summer and autumn...with reduced capacity, and reservations required. But then COVID cases started to surge again so the governor put us in a 14-day “pause” on Nov 30th...and then on Dec 10th extended it by a week. So as it is right now they wonâ€Tmt re-open until Dec 21st. Some people (members of the YMCA) are driving over into Massachusetts YMCA branches since pools are still open there. Personally I donâ€Tmt want to drive that far just to swim. I went about 45 days without swimming at the beginning of the pandemic. Then swam open water all summer. Once it got too cold for that I went to the Y at the end of Oct. I suppose Iâ€Tmll survive another 3-week pause. I still have running and cycling...when there isnâ€Tmt snow. Dan
  • I believe that all PA indoor pools are closed. Given the 'noreaster yesterday, I doubt many are participating in outdoor swimming.
  • FWIW, this is an article referencing a study showing that pools are very safe, should any of you have any ability to talk to local officials who may have authority on some things: www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../
  • Up here in Canada, about 90 minutes north of Toronto, we've entered the "red" stage ... one more stage to go before lockdown. I'm fortunately far enough outside of the Toronto metro area, which is locked down, that our pools are still open, but new restrictions went into place this week that mean there are only 10 people allowed in a fitness facility. For me as a swimmer, this is kind of OK ... Public lap swimming in our 3 community pools was already at 1 person per lane (reservation required) and we have two 6 lane pools and one 8 lane pool. So, that's still there ... but reservations do seem harder to come by. Our ~13 person masters team, though, which only had two, one hour workouts per week, now has been split into three cohorts of 5 people each, with only 2 cohorts practicing together at any time. We haven't gotten any more pool time, though, so that means we get 4 workouts over three weeks. That's a bummer. The local LA Fitness, where I swim mostly, has had to go to a reservation system with only 10 people in the whole club. They have this on the app and have 3 swim slots and 7 "gym" slots every hour. Reservation slots open up at 9pm two nights before the day and are gone in minutes. I now have an alarm set on my phone at 8:58pm to get me ready, as some of the gym people have figured out, though, that they can click on the 'swim reservation' link and then just use the gym. The upside is that I now seem to get the three lane pool to myself. All in all, I still feel lucky, even if it does require some more planning.
  • On edit, I really should not opine. There appears to be nothing that will close anything in the state of Tennessee right now. Idaho is right there with you. The only thing affecting my pool access right now is that my preferred pool is being re-plastered and is closed for that and not COVID. I've been suffering through the 84-85 degree water at a different pool since the week after Thanksgiving, but at least I do have somewhere to swim. On the upside it is only a mile from my house and 4 miles from work, so I'm saving on gas.
  • Our outdoor pools here in FL have been open on a limited basis since mid-to-late May. COVID-19 protocols vary depending on the facility, with most requiring masks, limited number of swimmers per lane and positive check-in for contact tracing, if necessary. Our Masters team currently swims M-W-F from 6:00 and 7:30 and at noon M-F. Numbers are down, but folks are gradually starting to come back. We've also been joined by some college swimmers who are doing remote semesters and are trying to stay in shape for whenever they can get back on campus.
  • Chicagoland --- our team pool was gpen for practice for 4 weeks now closed except for 75 minute assigned times during the day till further notice.
  • My pool is open, but they did not put the bubble over it this year. Up until the start of this week, it was open normal hours. However now that the thermal blankets came in, they are enforcing strict temperature rules to avoid burning out the heater, which was never meant to heat the pool outside through the winter! If it is below 35 and overcast, they keep it closed. But the other pool managed by the club's ownership group does have its bubble up, and so I have been using it, trying to hit off hours when possible, when the main pool I use is closed due to weather. I feel for all of you without a pool. Hoping for more swimming to be available to more people in 2021.
  • Our YMCA pool has been open since May. We have an outdoor 10 lane 25 meter pool and an indoor 25 yd pool. This year they have kept the outdoor pool open for an extra month - now closing 1/1/21. On New Years Day we are going to start the year with 100 x 100s if the weather cooperates. The pool is closed if air temp is below 45. Our Masters team has had workouts since May. Lanes are open by reservation at other times. We stay separated in workout with 2 to 3 per lane. Last Saturday we had an intersquad meet with about 30 swimmers. We had 1 timer per lane to reduce exposure. Everyone wore masks and stayed distanced when not actually swimming. It was great to race again - even in a non-sanctioned event. I ended up swimming 5 events and 2 relays in a 2 hour meet. Hopefully by the end of next year we can all be back in the water and back to regular competition.