The New Approach to Meets

Iâ€Tmm really gratified to hear that USMS is approving sanctions beginning in November. That doesnâ€Tmt mean that any and all can swim in a particular meet. Some of us “race horses” are looking for competition. In my area, a team has a sanction for “members only”...an inter squad meet. So exclusionary events are OK? I live close by, but canâ€Tmt compete because Iâ€Tmm not affiliated with that team. How can this be a USMS event? ....I assume that records and Top Tens will be available to participants. I understand the limitations of COVID, and donâ€Tmt begrudge a team from having an inter squad meet, but if it is in the name of the organization at large, to the exclusion of our members, I must question. Any thoughts?
  • Nothing is keeping people from also hosting small enough open meets. It is not mutually exclusive to have intrasquad meets and also open meets in the same season. Anybody have the definition of obtuse handy? If one looks right now at the USMS calendar of events for the entire nation, you will find ONE event that has not been cancelled for the entire rest of the year and SCM season--it is available Dec 13--Iowa Senior Games. Set aside the obvious, that nobody wants to visit Iowa in December. This event will likely exclude everyone under 50 and is also probably yards. You are correct that open meets are not mutually exclusive to intrasquad meets but it may be bit naive to expect enough open meets/time trials will appear in the next few weeks to create a legitimate Top Ten/All-American list.
  • Come on, @JPEnge, @Kurt Dickson and @PWB! Living in Montana under a 100-mile radius limit effectively stops any meets UNLESS they are single team time trials. #openwater #flatheadlake #virtualgrandslam #virtualswimtathlonleague Don't tell anyone, but I'm currently atop the 60-64 SCM standings in FOUR events (from a pre-Covid meet in February), and any 50-54 ranking without Kurt's name is only as illegitimate as the 60-64 rankings with me at the TOP! I hope you kids don't take away my glory.
  • may be bit naive to expect enough open meets/time trials will appear in the next few weeks to create a legitimate Top Ten/All-American list. I am guessing you are mostly focusing on the current, SCM season. However, since USA-S meet times can count towards TT/AA/records as well, I'm not sure the lack of sanctioning of USMS meets should necessarily delegitimize rankings. Maybe I am just being devil's advocate here. Not necessarily looking to spar. I realize my situation is not the norm for many competitive USMS swimmers.
  • I am guessing you are mostly focusing on the current, SCM season. However, since USA-S meet times can count towards TT/AA/records as well, I'm not sure the lack of sanctioning of USMS meets should necessarily delegitimize rankings. Maybe I am just being devil's advocate here. Not necessarily looking to spar. I realize my situation is not the norm for many competitive USMS swimmers. I am unable to attend kiddie meets any longer. I frighten the children and they hurt my feelings by continually calling me "fat ***".
  • Look, I understand the frustration. Ain't going to be any meets - intersquad or not, USMS or USA-S - in my area at all until the public schools start allowing outside renters, which at most recent survey sounds like it won't be any time through the end of the school year. And I am itching to race somebody. I just don't think my inability to do a USMS-official swim invalidates those that do, whether they do so at an intrasquad meet that meets all the sanction rules or a normal open meet.
  • Getting back to the main question. I do not think an inter squad scrimmage closed to other USMS members should count as a Meet, or Top Ten times.
  • Getting back to the main question. I do not think an inter squad scrimmage closed to other USMS members should count as a Meet, or Top Ten times. Why? If every requirement for sanctioning a meet is followed, why shouldn't it count? If a team hosts an open meet and nobody signs up but one club, should that not count?
  • Why? If every requirement for sanctioning a meet is followed, why shouldn't it count? If a team hosts an open meet and nobody signs up but one club, should that not count? Key word is "open". I think the argument is against closed time trials to count for top ten...you know for us team-less reindeer who would not be invited to play reindeer games.
  • Key word is "open". I think the argument is against closed time trials to count for top ten...you know for us team-less reindeer who would not be invited to play reindeer games. But again, why should they not count? I haven't heard a reason from anybody besides that you personally do not get to participate.
  • Look, I understand the frustration. Ain't going to be any meets - intersquad or not, USMS or USA-S - in my area at all until the public schools start allowing outside renters, which at most recent survey sounds like it won't be any time through the end of the school year. And I am itching to race somebody. I just don't think my inability to do a USMS-official swim invalidates those that do, whether they do so at an intrasquad meet that meets all the sanction rules or a normal open meet. The voice of reason.