The New Approach to Meets

Iâ€Tmm really gratified to hear that USMS is approving sanctions beginning in November. That doesnâ€Tmt mean that any and all can swim in a particular meet. Some of us “race horses” are looking for competition. In my area, a team has a sanction for “members only”...an inter squad meet. So exclusionary events are OK? I live close by, but canâ€Tmt compete because Iâ€Tmm not affiliated with that team. How can this be a USMS event? ....I assume that records and Top Tens will be available to participants. I understand the limitations of COVID, and donâ€Tmt begrudge a team from having an inter squad meet, but if it is in the name of the organization at large, to the exclusion of our members, I must question. Any thoughts?
  • Weird. I did not get that email. Me neither. If only USMS had like ... a place where they could post information ... maybe like a public commons where members could discuss things, share ideas, bandy about thoughts about how to make the organization better. It would be so great if USMS had some kind of forum for multi-lateral and multi-layered communication and debate :agree: ... Signed, Visionary for what USMS could become
  • Me neither. If only USMS had like ... a place where they could post information ... maybe like a public commons where members could discuss things, share ideas, bandy about thoughts about how to make the organization better. It would be so great if USMS had some kind of forum for multi-lateral and multi-layered communication and debate :agree: ... Signed, Visionary for what USMS could become www.youtube.com/watch
  • the information Phase 1 Return to Competition Guidance was available by Oct 9 within the "Covid-19 Resource Page" from the USMS start page when first logging into the site. I personally feel that starting with small meets is the way to more safely get back into competition, even if it excludes a large portion of us who look forward to competition once again. i can certainly understand the frustration many of us are experiencing but it will not last forever. Thank you. That was useful. That resource is now avilable at the bottom scroll down area(not far from where they hid the forums link.) I did not realize how often that was updated or I would have followed it more closely. Maybe someone could post on the forums when there is a new update.
  • Shouldn't anyone who wishes to compete at a USMS meet, at the very least, be a "contact for sanctioned events?" Like I get it that if you hold a position within an LMSC you got the email, but seems like the kind of information anyone looking to attend a sanctioned would want to know about! the information Phase 1 Return to Competition Guidance was available by Oct 9 within the "Covid-19 Resource Page" from the USMS start page when first logging into the site. I personally feel that starting with small meets is the way to more safely get back into competition, even if it excludes a large portion of us who look forward to competition once again. i can certainly understand the frustration many of us are experiencing but it will not last forever.
  • But again, why should they not count? I haven't heard a reason from anybody besides that you personally do not get to participate. Ok let's get literal. Any 50-54 top ten without Kurt Dickson in it is illegitimate. I suppose nobody really cares though.
  • Not that often that I agree with Kurt, but I agree with Kurt. I think USMS having meets now is a good idea as a proof of concept before "real" meets. To me, a real meet is an open meet. One of the great things about USMS is that the meets are open.All you need to enter a meet is to be registered with USMS, which basically any adult can do. You can even swim 3 events at Nationals without NQTs.Top Ten in the Nation is supposed to be Top Ten in the Nation, not the 10 swimmers lucky enough to have an intrasquad meet at their pool.
  • Top Ten in the Nation is supposed to be Top Ten in the Nation, not the 10 swimmers lucky enough to have an intrasquad meet at their pool.Agreed wholeheartedly.
  • Any 50-54 top ten without Kurt Dickson in it is illegitimate. TRUTH! I suppose nobody really cares though.I care.
  • Top Ten in the Nation is supposed to be Top Ten in the Nation, not the 10 swimmers lucky enough to have an intrasquad meet at their pool. Nothing is keeping people from also hosting small enough open meets. It is not mutually exclusive to have intrasquad meets and also open meets in the same season.
  • Hard to have a truly open meet is no one can travel over 100 miles. If there are tons of small meets popping up all over I will be glad to be wrong and will happily enter.