Would USMS change Greensboro to another outdoor Nationals

Would this even be possible due to contracts with Greensboro in 2021? :worms: With the pandemic not going away, would some thought be given to an outdoor Nationals being a possibility? Your thought on this?
  • Would this even be possible due to contracts with Greensboro in 2021? :worms: With the pandemic not going away, would some thought be given to an outdoor Nationals being a possibility? Your thought on this?Back to Texas? Or, maybe go back to the outdoor pool they had it in Puerto Rico in 2010 - www.youtube.com/watch
  • Does anyone know if we are locked into Greensboro or if there exists a discussion of the move to outside?
  • That seems a real possibility. A small local meet or even a state meet might be the litmus test for upcoming larger meets. This virtual meet format seems a lot of work to get into with the effort some are reporting. Well... I think it's very doable if you do it the right way. Swim.com is *not* the right way. Not even close.
  • Does anyone know if we are locked into Greensboro or if there exists a discussion of the move to outside?Don't know for sure on either, but I would imagine the plan will be all systems "go to Greensboro" until/unless COVID continues to run rampant through the country with no vaccine. If COVID is not under control, my bet would be on cancellation being the more likely outcome than consideration of an outdoor venue. I imagine we'll know a lot more by the end of this year when we see if anyone is able to even host a small meet IRL. If we can't get comparably small local meets going, I don't see how a crowded nationals happens.
  • That seems a real possibility. A small local meet or even a state meet might be the litmus test for upcoming larger meets. This virtual meet format seems a lot of work to get into with the effort some are reporting.
  • For a small, local meet the difference between an indoor and an outdoor venue might be important. Certainly right now I am willing to go to lap swim or to an organized, uncrowded workout in an outdoor pool, even though I wouldn't be willing to do those activities in an indoor pool. But for Nationals, even if the event were outdoors people would have to crowd together at times, such as behind the blocks and in the dressing rooms. People would travel from all around the country and would stay in hotels or rental houses with people outside their usual immediate households. If the pandemic situation improves by next spring I might consider attending an indoor or an outdoor Nationals, but if it doesn't improve I wouldn't go either way.
  • For a small, local meet the difference between an indoor and an outdoor venue might be important. Certainly right now I am willing to go to lap swim or to an organized, uncrowded workout in an outdoor pool, even though I wouldn't be willing to do those activities in an indoor pool. But for Nationals, even if the event were outdoors people would have to crowd together at times, such as behind the blocks and in the dressing rooms. People would travel from all around the country and would stay in hotels or rental houses with people outside their usual immediate households. If the pandemic situation improves by next spring I might consider attending an indoor or an outdoor Nationals, but if it doesn't improve I wouldn't go either way. That's some clear thinking right there. Agree.
  • Does anyone know if we are locked into Greensboro or if there exists a discussion of the move to outside? There is an executed contract between USMS and the Greensboro host committee for this event to be held at the GAC. We'll all just need to be patient and see what develops between now and then.
  • There is an executed contract between USMS and the Greensboro host committee for this event to be held at the GAC. We'll all just need to be patient and see what develops between now and then. Agreed. Perhaps those that want to remain in their bunker until 2025 can do so (with the help of their virtual swim watches and blow-up dolls, of course) and the rest of us that understand life is risky and never guaranteed, can sign the regular waiver and get on with life.
  • Agreed. Perhaps those that want to remain in their bunker until 2025 can do so (with the help of their virtual swim watches and blow-up dolls, of course) and the rest of us that understand life is risky and never guaranteed, can sign the regular waiver and get on with life. We've both done some open water events, and at no time did I feel unsafe at the venues. We wore masks for check-in/numbering, and were fairly spread out. Of course the fact that both events had only 11 swimmers for the 10k certainly worked to our advantage :) I drove quite a distance for one event, limited my contacts to mostly drive-through windows, hotel clerks (masked/through plexiglass), and my cousin who paddled for me. The other event I flew for, which was quite an experience that I'm not sure I want to repeat anytime soon. I wore a mask throughout, except when eating/drinking. I also wore a face shield for moving through the airport (check-in, security, etc.) but took it off if I was able to sit remotely by myself. I wore it for boarding, but took the shield off once that finished. Perhaps a face shield (with a mask) was a bit overboard, but it gave me some extra piece of mind. And now that I've been home over a week, without any symptoms, I'm hopeful that I'll remain healthy. I've been swimming in outside pools, where I have my own lane, or sometimes the whole pool. I've also done some o/w swims in a lake/river with a small group. Most of the others are significantly faster than I am, so other than briefly at the start, all I really see of them is a buoy off in the distance.