Workouts...minus backstroke

Former Member
Former Member
So...our community pools are open again, and I'm trying to get back in to working out in something that has lane lines and walls rather than fish and reef. However...there are no flags or a pace clock. The pace clock is ok, but the flags are a bummer. There's really nothing else to site on :badday:. Any suggestions for modifying workouts? Substitute free for all the back in the im's I want to do? I'm not sure what else to do... Thanks!
  • So...our community pools are open again, and I'm trying to get back in to working out in something that has lane lines and walls rather than fish and reef. However...there are no flags or a pace clock. The pace clock is ok, but the flags are a bummer. There's really nothing else to site on :badday:. Any suggestions for modifying workouts? Substitute free for all the back in the im's I want to do? I'm not sure what else to do... Thanks!Two quick solutions: 1) Pace Clock - if you have an apple device, download the free Pace Clock app (apps.apple.com/.../id465060982) and zip your phone into a zip lock bag. Prop it up against your water bottle. 2) No backstroke flags - simply count your strokes the whole lap. I assume you're used to counting strokes from the flags in ... just learn your stroke count for the whole lap. As an added bonus, counting your strokes for all strokes for all laps is a great way to focus on understanding and then improving your efficiency.
  • Two quick solutions: ... 2) No backstroke flags - simply count your strokes the whole lap. I assume you're used to counting strokes from the flags in ... just learn your stroke count for the whole lap. ... and be extremely careful! A concussion or broken arm will ruin you conditioning more than fish, a reef, or not doing backstroke. Another strategy, swim in the edge lane. Place a chair with a bright towel on it next to the edge of the pool at an appropriate location. Still be very careful.
  • Nothing on the ceiling...a discolored ceiling tile, a water stain, a crack...that could give you an indication as to how close you are to the wall? Are there building structural beam, or hanging lights you could count? Anything in the walls you can see out the corner of your eye? Dan
  • can you swim in a lane on the sides of the pool? put a chair 5 yards/meters out. or after 10 strokes drop your head back looking for the wall like we did as kids.
  • I would ditch the pool and swim over the reefs again. Just me though
  • You said lane lines......do they not go from alternating colors to solid in the last 5 yards? That combined with counting your strokes the whole lap should be a good reference. I still can't figure out if my watch will show what I want, so I usually just my reps on the :00 and count from there. Not really any different than a pace clock. You could buy a battery powered pace clock, though, and take it with you.