Acclimating to cold water

Former Member
Former Member
Seeing that gym pools are closed here for the foreseeable future, I'm left to swim at my own pool at home. Problem is I don't heat my pool so during the winter the water gets as low as high 40s. I have a below 10% body fat so I get cold very easily, although I do enjoy the cold. I usually take dips in the pool throughout winter but these are usually neck deep for 5-10 mins which leaves me incredibly cold, shivering, and with fairly low blood oxygen levels according to my pulse oxymeter but a few laps of running around the pool warms we up quickly. Pool is currently at 65 which I'm sure if laughable for you open water folks. Recently got a cold water cap so I'll be trying that tomorrow to see how I feel. Any tips on how to acclimate or adjust as the water gets colder? Will a wetsuit be worth it when the water dips into the 50s?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Double capping helps. Also, get some earplugs to keep the cold water out of your ears. I wore a silicone cap on top of the cold cap but sadly water still leaked in. Going to give the Mack putty ear plugs a try next time and my wetsuit came in so I'll give that a go as well.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Double capping helps. Also, get some earplugs to keep the cold water out of your ears. I wore a silicone cap on top of the cold cap but sadly water still leaked in. Going to give the Mack putty ear plugs a try next time and my wetsuit came in so I'll give that a go as well.
Children
No Data