Acclimating to cold water

Former Member
Former Member
Seeing that gym pools are closed here for the foreseeable future, I'm left to swim at my own pool at home. Problem is I don't heat my pool so during the winter the water gets as low as high 40s. I have a below 10% body fat so I get cold very easily, although I do enjoy the cold. I usually take dips in the pool throughout winter but these are usually neck deep for 5-10 mins which leaves me incredibly cold, shivering, and with fairly low blood oxygen levels according to my pulse oxymeter but a few laps of running around the pool warms we up quickly. Pool is currently at 65 which I'm sure if laughable for you open water folks. Recently got a cold water cap so I'll be trying that tomorrow to see how I feel. Any tips on how to acclimate or adjust as the water gets colder? Will a wetsuit be worth it when the water dips into the 50s?
  • Is there an open water group near you? If so, some of them probably do cold water stuff. My local open water group does. I can't recall everything I've read, but generally it recommends a couple of things. Go out on your porch for your morning coffee in just your underwear (or similar minimal clothing in cool mornings for several minutes). Start taking cold showers, or at least finish the shower by turning it to cold water for a couple of minutes. I found when I was getting in the cold water that swimming a little *** stroke to be able to start moving while not having to worry about hyperventilating was very helpful.
  • Yeah, a long sleeve wetsuit will probably help you. Although with the sensitivity to the cold that you describe...I donâ€Tmt know how long itâ€Tmll allow you to stay in the water. I do lots of open water swimming...had to do lots more than usual this summer. But in the spring I opened our home pool about 3-4 weeks earlier than I usually do. I was doing tethered swims in it, in my wetsuit, until the open water warmed up enough to get it with the wetsuit. When I first opened the pool, the water was in the high 50°sF. In addition to the wetsuit, I also was wearing neoprene gloves and neoprene socks. I was able to stay in for an hour. I did that a few times per week until the open water was available. Like 67 said above...acclimation is important. And Iâ€Tmll reiterate that slowly entering the water with the wetsuit on will help. Let the water inside the suit enter and warm up slowly. If youâ€Tmre doing tethered swims...youâ€Tmll notice that after a few minutes of swimming itâ€Tms bearable. At least thatâ€Tms how it went for me. Iâ€Tmve already closed our pool for this season...but now I wish I had kept it open longer. It appears that my usual lap pool was going to lessen restrictions. But they ended up regressing and now thereâ€Tms only as much swimming opportunities as there were in the summer. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    67, I haven't researched whether or not there are an open water groups near me but I'm sure there are if I start looking. I usually end my showers with cold water which I like. Great point on picking an easier stroke to start with when first going into the water. Dan, I was going to get a wetsuit but I didn't buy one yet because I have no idea how much it'll help. I've been in a wetsuit only once, roughly 20 years ago so I don't really remember how it felt. Does it drastically reduce the cold, at least in terms of how it feels?
  • Dan, I was going to get a wetsuit but I didn't buy one yet because I have no idea how much it'll help. Wetsuits help a TON. Xterra suits are often on sale on their site, and often very steeply discounted. Just beware that with the buoyancy, they change your body positioning, so they will impact how you swim.
  • There are a few things to remember about using a wetsuit. First, you want one that fits properly. If itâ€Tms too loose it may not work properly WRT how much water is inside it, how fluidly is changes, and will feel cumbersome as you stroke. Likewise, if itâ€Tms too tight you wonâ€Tmt feel comfortable. And even when you have one thatâ€Tms the proper size...you have to make sure that itâ€Tms on correctly/completely. I see people put them on but donâ€Tmt pull the crotch and/or armpits all the way up to where they should be. That will make it feel overly tight, especially in the shoulders, and works against your stroke. Keep in mind that part of what makes a wetsuit work is a small amount of water getting inside, your body warming it up, and then staying in there to help insulate you. If you jump right in...itâ€Tmll be very cold for the first couple minutes. If you enter the water slowly, and let the water warm gradually it wonâ€Tmt be so shocking. Once youâ€Tmve been swimming a couple of minutes youâ€Tmll get more acclimated and wonâ€Tmt feel as cold. On a sunny day you can actually feel the warmth from the sun being absorbed on the back of the suit. Dan
  • So I tried the cold water cap yesterday for the first time and it helped tremendously. I could feel the heat escaping my body and going into my head but instead of leaving my head, the cap held it in. I only lasted 20 mins though instead of my usual 30 mins and I was shivering afterwards haha. I'll definitely pick up a wetsuit, hopefully it'll allow me to swim for another month or so, if not through the whole winter. Double capping helps. Also, get some earplugs to keep the cold water out of your ears.
  • Former Member
    So I tried the cold water cap yesterday for the first time and it helped tremendously. I could feel the heat escaping my body and going into my head but instead of leaving my head, the cap held it in. I only lasted 20 mins though instead of my usual 30 mins and I was shivering afterwards haha. I'll definitely pick up a wetsuit, hopefully it'll allow me to swim for another month or so, if not through the whole winter.
  • Former Member
    Double capping helps. Also, get some earplugs to keep the cold water out of your ears. I wore a silicone cap on top of the cold cap but sadly water still leaked in. Going to give the Mack putty ear plugs a try next time and my wetsuit came in so I'll give that a go as well.