Choosing events for a meet

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, Where I live, the pool has been opened since late May. And there will be a masters meet mid-September. It was almost one year ago when I asked for suggestion in this forum and got good results in my first meet in 36 years. I think I probably join the coming meet, considering that it is the only one held this year around here. What would you prefer, between 200 free + 50 free and 50 fly + 50 free ? I enjoy both fly and free. My issue is only about preparation. These options seem to fit different training schemes. Thanks. b
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Unless you're deeply serious about training for a specific race at a specific future event, I don't think your training would be modified whether you're training for the 200 free (which requires mostly speed and a bit o'endurance) and the 50s. If you just always train for the 200IM or 400IM, you can race any event, any time, any distance, any stroke. I treat training for this meet as a once-a-year excitement to enjoy the next few weeks rather than expecting a long-term consequence. After the meet, I probably return to the way I regularly swim, which is to improve my 1k and 1.5k time. I really had thought about training for 200IM, but still haven't got to it effectively. I can finish 200IM, but not with a good time (compared to free). Admittedly, it hurted so bad that it scared me a bit :blush:. Anyway, you're right. If I really am good enough for 200IM, I can race any (the longest events here are 200m free and IM). Maybe I should try that after the meet.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Unless you're deeply serious about training for a specific race at a specific future event, I don't think your training would be modified whether you're training for the 200 free (which requires mostly speed and a bit o'endurance) and the 50s. If you just always train for the 200IM or 400IM, you can race any event, any time, any distance, any stroke. I treat training for this meet as a once-a-year excitement to enjoy the next few weeks rather than expecting a long-term consequence. After the meet, I probably return to the way I regularly swim, which is to improve my 1k and 1.5k time. I really had thought about training for 200IM, but still haven't got to it effectively. I can finish 200IM, but not with a good time (compared to free). Admittedly, it hurted so bad that it scared me a bit :blush:. Anyway, you're right. If I really am good enough for 200IM, I can race any (the longest events here are 200m free and IM). Maybe I should try that after the meet.
Children
No Data