Choosing events for a meet

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, Where I live, the pool has been opened since late May. And there will be a masters meet mid-September. It was almost one year ago when I asked for suggestion in this forum and got good results in my first meet in 36 years. I think I probably join the coming meet, considering that it is the only one held this year around here. What would you prefer, between 200 free + 50 free and 50 fly + 50 free ? I enjoy both fly and free. My issue is only about preparation. These options seem to fit different training schemes. Thanks. b
  • The 50"s are over before you start to hurt so, go for those if you want.
  • What would you prefer, between 200 free + 50 free and 50 fly + 50 free ?Personally, I'd prefer 200 fly +500 free. But what we prefer shouldn't influence your decision on what you want to swim. Can you sign up for all 3 and make a race day decision on what you decide to swim? And I'm interested to understand what the difference is between your training for different events.
  • Personally, I'd prefer 200 fly +500 free.+1 Can you sign up for all 3 and make a race day decision on what you decide to swim?+1 And I'm interested to understand what the difference is between your training for different events.Unless you're deeply serious about training for a specific race at a specific future event, I don't think your training would be modified whether you're training for the 200 free (which requires mostly speed and a bit o'endurance) and the 50s. If you just always train for the 200IM or 400IM, you can race any event, any time, any distance, any stroke.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Personally, I'd prefer 200 fly +500 free. But what we prefer shouldn't influence your decision on what you want to swim. Can you sign up for all 3 and make a race day decision on what you decide to swim? I can swim 500 free, but can never finish 200 fly. :afraid: Knowing how others consider can be informative for me. Your choice is interesting as I actually have mostly trained for long distance. Longest events here are only 200 free and IM, however. And that's why I need to consider how I may train for the meet. Yeah, I can sign up for all 3 and make a race day decision. But as I said, I think I'll train a little differently, so the issue is rather about deciding earlier. And I'm interested to understand what the difference is between your training for different events. I think if I go for only 50m events, I will only focus on interval training for both free and fly, just for this preparation period. If I go with 200 and 50 free, I'll balance out the intervals and lactate-threshold training. Such specific training, just for these few weeks, worked well for me last year (I had trained for 1k and 1.5k, but had to adapt to 100 and 200 free last year when I found that I was unable to increase stroke rate for the way I swim long distance).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Unless you're deeply serious about training for a specific race at a specific future event, I don't think your training would be modified whether you're training for the 200 free (which requires mostly speed and a bit o'endurance) and the 50s. If you just always train for the 200IM or 400IM, you can race any event, any time, any distance, any stroke. I treat training for this meet as a once-a-year excitement to enjoy the next few weeks rather than expecting a long-term consequence. After the meet, I probably return to the way I regularly swim, which is to improve my 1k and 1.5k time. I really had thought about training for 200IM, but still haven't got to it effectively. I can finish 200IM, but not with a good time (compared to free). Admittedly, it hurted so bad that it scared me a bit :blush:. Anyway, you're right. If I really am good enough for 200IM, I can race any (the longest events here are 200m free and IM). Maybe I should try that after the meet.