USA-S Issues Guidelines for Reopening Swimming Facilities

Check out the illustrations regarding swimmer set up and placing during workout in the facility reopening and planning doc: cdn.swimswam.com/.../facility-reopening-plan-guidelines.pdf Planning and guidelines for reopening. Original article from SwimSwam: swimswam.com/.../
  • That is quite detailed and might aid local teams and pool managers in getting approval from local governmental agencies for re-opening. Having said that, I'm not sure it really deals with the problem of spreading infection. The swimmers maintaining distance while static in the pool is great, but what about when they are swimming a set, circle swimming, and exhaling/inhaling at water level? I'm no infectious disease expert but I don't think being bathed in chlorinated water prevents one from expelling virus as you swim along, nor will it prevent the swimmer going the other way or coming up behind you from inhaling COVID laced droplets. I'm not trying to be alarmist, just pointing out what I see as the reality of the situation. I believe it is set up so that they have two swimmers per lane, but they start at opposite ends of the pool, so they are never next to each other. No circle swimming. Yes, they couuld pass at water level, but given the chlorine there with all the chop, I don't think it would be a risk. Especially since the exhalation is underwater and the air goes through all that cholorinated water before getting in the air. So far, it has not helped our state. All the SES teams I've been on calls with are being told they are following the governor's guidelines. My understanding is taht KY is petitioning to get an exemption for swim teams. Would love for TN to do that - the other states in SES (AL and FL) are open for swimming. Those of us in TN are trying to organize open water swims, eithier officially or unofficially.
  • ...or if you're older than 18 and are willing to sign a waiver that life and health is never guaranteed. We may get hit by a bus, we may get cancer, we may get abused and taken advantage of by unseemly people. We may get Coronavirus through chlorinated water (a proposition that likely will never be proved or disproved). I the undersigned understand that life is not always fair and will not seek recompense for the typical vicissitudes of life. I will sign that waiver and I respect everyone else's right to go back to their bubble.
  • ...or if you're older than 18 and are willing to sign a waiver that life and health is never guaranteed. We may get hit by a bus, we may get cancer, we may get abused and taken advantage of by unseemly people. We may get Coronavirus through chlorinated water (a proposition that likely will never be proved or disproved). I the undersigned understand that life is not always fair and will not seek recompense for the typical vicissitudes of life. I will sign that waiver and I respect everyone else's right to go back to their bubble.I'd sign it. Just open health clubs and pools and we all agree to this (or not).
  • probably around zero protection...decent lawyers get around all that...always somebody else's fault.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I believe it is set up so that they have two swimmers per lane, but they start at opposite ends of the pool, so they are never next to each other. No circle swimming. Yes, they couuld pass at water level, but given the chlorine there with all the chop, I don't think it would be a risk. Especially since the exhalation is underwater and the air goes through all that cholorinated water before getting in the air. So far, it has not helped our state. All the SES teams I've been on calls with are being told they are following the governor's guidelines. My understanding is taht KY is petitioning to get an exemption for swim teams. Would love for TN to do that - the other states in SES (AL and FL) are open for swimming. Those of us in TN are trying to organize open water swims, eithier officially or unofficially. Is the contact time of air being exhaled underwater sufficient to remove COVID before it bubbles to the surface? My suspicion is that the answer to that question is no. You could be correct on all accounts. I'm just thinking very conservatively about the risks of intense exercise in close proximity to other persons.
  • W OW! That is a lot to digest. This sounds a lot like the format presented by fitness facilities in that you stay away from others and go home with any locker room or shower involved. This might mean a staggered swim practice for certain numbers of the team at a time.
  • Former Member
    ...or if you're older than 18 and are willing to sign a waiver that life and health is never guaranteed. We may get hit by a bus, we may get cancer, we may get abused and taken advantage of by unseemly people. We may get Coronavirus through chlorinated water (a proposition that likely will never be proved or disproved). I the undersigned understand that life is not always fair and will not seek recompense for the typical vicissitudes of life. I will sign that waiver and I respect everyone else's right to go back to their bubble. I'd sign it as well. I'm still going to work on a daily basis and hoping I don't get sick but also understanding that there's only so much one can do. Well, unless I quit my job and sit at home.
  • Is the contact time of air being exhaled underwater sufficient to remove COVID before it bubbles to the surface? My suspicion is that the answer to that question is no. You could be correct on all accounts. I'm just thinking very conservatively about the risks of intense exercise in close proximity to other persons. I would honestly expect taht, given the size of the virus, which will be HUGE compared to the molecules of CO2, N2, H2O )vapor phase), and O2 we exhale, it may actually stay in the water for a VERY long time, if not forever. I've seen 120nm, which is probably a good number. The molecules of the components in air are going to be Angstroms in size, meaning 1/1000th as large. So that stuff will rise to the surface, while the virus stays submerged. I would expect it would "stick" to the water through van der waals forces, too. Think about it, the fear of it being airborn is that it is attached to droplets.
  • Former Member
    A question for the lawyers, how much protection would such a release of liability provide to a pool operator, event host, USMS, etc.?
  • Former Member
    That is quite detailed and might aid local teams and pool managers in getting approval from local governmental agencies for re-opening. Having said that, I'm not sure it really deals with the problem of spreading infection. The swimmers maintaining distance while static in the pool is great, but what about when they are swimming a set, circle swimming, and exhaling/inhaling at water level? I'm no infectious disease expert but I don't think being bathed in chlorinated water prevents one from expelling virus as you swim along, nor will it prevent the swimmer going the other way or coming up behind you from inhaling COVID laced droplets. I'm not trying to be alarmist, just pointing out what I see as the reality of the situation.