Made a big change, would appreciate feedback

Former Member
Former Member
Just for context, I started swimming five years ago and I'm 42 years old. After a lot of floundering I got down to 1:50 per 100, and I do about 3000 meters a workout. I used to just swim it out, now I'm working on intervals and actually trying to push myself in a semi intelligent way. I am haunted by my kicking problems, inasmuch as they're weaker than my arms and I tend to always move from side to side. I came to the conclusion this morning in my workout that breathing on only one side on every second stroke was forcing me to angle out every stroke and compounded my problems with keeping straight and letting my kicking propel me forward as opposed to side to side. I started working this morning on breathing on alternate sides on every third stroke and while I have to re-train my lungs to accept the breathing differently and get comfortable one goggling the non dominant side, I immediately saw a big change in how I was gliding through the water and felt like I was swimming a bit with a pull buoy. I had back surgery two years ago and for 18 months only swam with a buoy which probably made my problems a lot worse because I wasn't working on my core but was getting stronger with my pull, and wasn't addressing my weak kicking problem and facing up to the challenge of breathing on one side was pulling me a bit askance every stroke. Anyways here's the question for you pros. Am I thinking about this problem right? I tried to post the workout I need today. When I was working half through on breathing side to side I felt I had to go a lot slower to accommodate the new breathing technique and get comfortable with turning to the left, as well. Any feedback would be really helpful. I know it's going to take a long time to put the breathing, catch and kicking pieces back together but I really want to get down into the 1:30's per 100 just for me, and I know without some great kicking I will never ever get there.
Parents
  • DSG10715, Definitely in agreement with Kari (aka Flystorm) that you are working on a lot of things. Swimming is definitely one of the activities that falls into the "10,000" repetitions realm. The nice thing about a 3,000 yard practice is that it can be broken down into 4-5 segments - each one focused on one thing: Warm-up, then kick set, breathing set, a pulling set w/ pull buoy working on hip rotation, maybe a stroke drill set, and finally a set to put it all together. A couple more comments to inundate you with ideas: a) People make swimming harder than it has to be by trying to swim on top of the water instead of swimming through it. Examples: lifting your head to breathe instead of turning to the side or looking forward instead of down. The water will support a swimmer if they relax and stay balanced. When swimming through the water, very little of your body should be above the surface. I posted this video on Vimeo a while back. www.youtube.com/watch. See if you can do it. If you cannot, the chances are your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings are not engaged and your legs are much lower in the water when you swim which makes you more like an iceberg than a speed boat. :) You can practice good body position by doing the "superman" yoga position on dry land. b) When you kick, there will be some knee bend, but not more than 10-15 degrees (roughly) - it is like kicking a soccer ball. If your hips are breaking like when riding a bike, that is very bad. And, of course, keeping your toes pointed and turned in a little bit is very helpful. c) Based on your description of your pull, I suspect it is causing alot of snaking.Reaching as far forward as possible can mess up rotation and power if done incorrectly. "Hinging" at the elbow and pulling can also really mess things up if done at the wrong point in the stroke. If your daughter can use your cell phone to do a video (above water), that will get us started. Does NOT have to be udnerwater to see some of the things. Good Luck. paul
  • DSG10715, Definitely in agreement with Kari (aka Flystorm) that you are working on a lot of things. Swimming is definitely one of the activities that falls into the "10,000" repetitions realm. The nice thing about a 3,000 yard practice is that it can be broken down into 4-5 segments - each one focused on one thing: Warm-up, then kick set, breathing set, a pulling set w/ pull buoy working on hip rotation, maybe a stroke drill set, and finally a set to put it all together. A couple more comments to inundate you with ideas: a) People make swimming harder than it has to be by trying to swim on top of the water instead of swimming through it. Examples: lifting your head to breathe instead of turning to the side or looking forward instead of down. The water will support a swimmer if they relax and stay balanced. When swimming through the water, very little of your body should be above the surface. I posted this video on Vimeo a while back. www.youtube.com/watch. See if you can do it. If you cannot, the chances are your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings are not engaged and your legs are much lower in the water when you swim which makes you more like an iceberg than a speed boat. :) You can practice good body position by doing the "superman" yoga position on dry land. b) When you kick, there will be some knee bend, but not more than 10-15 degrees (roughly) - it is like kicking a soccer ball. If your hips are breaking like when riding a bike, that is very bad. And, of course, keeping your toes pointed and turned in a little bit is very helpful. c) Based on your description of your pull, I suspect it is causing alot of snaking.Reaching as far forward as possible can mess up rotation and power if done incorrectly. "Hinging" at the elbow and pulling can also really mess things up if done at the wrong point in the stroke. If your daughter can use your cell phone to do a video (above water), that will get us started. Does NOT have to be udnerwater to see some of the things. Good Luck. paul
Children
No Data