Workout Help: Returned to pool after 30 years

Former Member
Former Member
I once was a competitive Sprint swimmer. I was a mid 21 and mid 47 in the 50 and 100 free. I have literally not swam a lap in 30 years. I’m a 49 yr old male who has returned to the pool 2 months ago. I’m up to about 2200 yards/hr workout. I want to eventually compete again in the summer of 2019. I would love some workouts that meet me where I’m at and keep me engaged. Most workouts I’ve viewed on this site are a little too much for me at this point. Would anyone be willing to help me?? Thanks
  • I came back last year from a 6-year break in kind of the same situation. If you want, you can check my workout blog on here, the first few months are mid-2k, low-3k yard, hour long practices. You can ignore the dryland/CrossFit stuff though :P Here's the link to the first page: forums.usms.org/blog.php Now that I look at it, I kind of escalated to 3k/hr pretty quickly.
  • No. Use my blog. It's better. But seriously, it depends upon what events you are training for. 50/100 FR? I would highly recommend you check out the archived HIT (High -Intensity Training) Workout thread in the Workout Forums. In 2012, Fortress (aka "Fort") was writing the workouts and had quite a following. She was (still is?) a top notch sprinter for her age group. I dug up the link where the workouts start: forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php You can PM me if you have a question.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Thanks so much for the reply!! I will definitely use some of this.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Calvin, These are great workouts. Fort has some great workouts. I'm still trying to get into swim shape but some of this is doable. I just need to learn some of her terminology. Thank you for the great suggestion!!!
  • Calvin, These are great workouts. Fort has some great workouts. I'm still trying to get into swim shape but some of this is doable. I just need to learn some of her terminology. Thank you for the great suggestion!!! Somewhere buried in there might be a legend/key to all her abbreviations/acronyms/etc. As I was typing this I went on a search and found it: forums.usms.org/showthread.php