tips for breathing and swimming comfortably with a snorkel?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to use a snorkel comfortably, preferably without a nose clip (because the noseclips keep falling off me). I use a Finis snorkel and either get water up my nose or have small bits of water accumulate in the snorkel. It's a little better when I exhale through my nose, but either way, water accumulates in places that make it uncomfortable to swim more than a 25. Even when I don't suck in little bits of water, it's really hard to get enough air, and I can feel myself panicking. After each lengths, I stop and empty little bits of water from my snorkel, and catch my breath. (I am an experienced competitive swimmer in good health, so I'm very comfortable in the water without a snorkel.) Even with a noseclip, it's uncomfortable. My son is just beginning winter swim team, and they will be using snorkels too. The coach advised for them not to use a noseclip, that they will get used to swimming without it. So I'm looking for advice for both myself and for my son, so we can use the snorkels comfortably. Any advice on breathing easier with snorkels would be much appreciated!
Parents
  • For the turns.... going into the turns, take a breath like and breathe out through your nose as you would in a normal turn. You'll clear the snorkel as it hits the surface with a big push of air and for me, I usually have to do a second push to clear out the rest of it. There's enough air after the first push to grab a breath to push out the rest. Having a snorkel with a purge valve helps a lot. www.swimoutlet.com/.../ I occasionally get a little panicky on long sets with the snorkel if I'm going hard. I typically use mine for kicking, sculling and warming up to get the body and arms aligned. It definitely takes some time to get used to them, but stick with it. It gives you another tool in your belt to use to help your stroke improve.
  • For the turns.... going into the turns, take a breath like and breathe out through your nose as you would in a normal turn. You'll clear the snorkel as it hits the surface with a big push of air and for me, I usually have to do a second push to clear out the rest of it. There's enough air after the first push to grab a breath to push out the rest. Having a snorkel with a purge valve helps a lot. www.swimoutlet.com/.../ I occasionally get a little panicky on long sets with the snorkel if I'm going hard. I typically use mine for kicking, sculling and warming up to get the body and arms aligned. It definitely takes some time to get used to them, but stick with it. It gives you another tool in your belt to use to help your stroke improve.
Children
No Data