tips for breathing and swimming comfortably with a snorkel?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to use a snorkel comfortably, preferably without a nose clip (because the noseclips keep falling off me). I use a Finis snorkel and either get water up my nose or have small bits of water accumulate in the snorkel. It's a little better when I exhale through my nose, but either way, water accumulates in places that make it uncomfortable to swim more than a 25. Even when I don't suck in little bits of water, it's really hard to get enough air, and I can feel myself panicking. After each lengths, I stop and empty little bits of water from my snorkel, and catch my breath. (I am an experienced competitive swimmer in good health, so I'm very comfortable in the water without a snorkel.) Even with a noseclip, it's uncomfortable. My son is just beginning winter swim team, and they will be using snorkels too. The coach advised for them not to use a noseclip, that they will get used to swimming without it. So I'm looking for advice for both myself and for my son, so we can use the snorkels comfortably. Any advice on breathing easier with snorkels would be much appreciated!
  • Breathe in through your mouth, and out through your nose, regardless of a snorkel or not. ONly time to use a nose clip would be for backstroke. Exhale continuously through your nose, just meter the rate, and you shouldn't have any issues getting water in your nose.
  • I use my Finis snorkel a lot in practice: Drill sets, kick sets (in streamline without a kickboard), long pull sets (working on SPL) and for some speed work (25's & 50's). I first started using it several years ago at the suggestion of my coach to help correct crossing over with my left arm in freestyle - I did a lot of catch up drills with the snorkel allowing me to keep my head down and concentrate on my alignment. Once you get comfortable with it, I would suggest timing your breathing the same way as you would in your normal stroke cycle without the snorkel. Flip turns are no big deal; just exhale a little bit to form an air bubble in the snorkel just before you tuck your head.
  • Breathe in through your mouth, and out through your nose, regardless of a snorkel or not. is the best way to swim properly without any of your problems. Do you flip turn with the snorkel?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    For my training, I feel the center-line snorkel has become one of my favorite tools in the bag. I admit that it took quite a while to get comfortable and not focus on the intricacies of its use. Initially, I only used it for longer, lower intensity pull sets. Today, I utilize it for greater than 50% of my workout. I use it for all up-tempo and performance sets. It allows me to focus on head and body position. I both inhale and exhale through the Finis snorkel. I think it will become a personal preference as you get more acclimated. I replaced my original Finis about 18 months ago when the headpiece materiel deteriorated. The replacement had a different purge valve design. I preferred the old design which did a better job clearing residual water. I ended up placing the new headpiece on my original tube. I also recommend use of the "cardio cap" which forces increased effort. Over time. the benefits to your cardio thresholds are noticeable. Turns are no problem; you will masters the use of a Finis snorkel soon. Good luck, Tree
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks for this post and all the replies. I've been thinking about getting a Finis snorkel & y'all have saved me a lot of time & prevented likely problems. :)
  • Thanks, everyone, for your kind and helpful replies. It sounds like it will get easier after an initial period of discomfort. No I have not tried flip turns yet - just one 25 at a time is all I can manage. Hoping everyone can answer a couple of followup questions -- When I breathed in through my mouth and out through my nose, I always got a little water inside the snorkel -- is this normal? This is why I stop every 25 (also because I feel short on air.) How do you do flip turns with a snorkel and not choke on water? Do you get less air with the snorkel (without the cardio cap) than normal breathing? Maybe this accounts for my feeling of air deprivation. Thanks again for your replies! I use my Finis snorkel a lot in practice: Drill sets, kick sets (in streamline without a kickboard), long pull sets (working on SPL) and for some speed work (25's & 50's). I first started using it several years ago at the suggestion of my coach to help correct crossing over with my left arm in freestyle - I did a lot of catch up drills with the snorkel allowing me to keep my head down and concentrate on my alignment. Once you get comfortable with it, I would suggest timing your breathing the same way as you would in your normal stroke cycle without the snorkel. Flip turns are no big deal; just exhale a little bit to form an air bubble in the snorkel just before you tuck your head.
  • For the turns.... going into the turns, take a breath like and breathe out through your nose as you would in a normal turn. You'll clear the snorkel as it hits the surface with a big push of air and for me, I usually have to do a second push to clear out the rest of it. There's enough air after the first push to grab a breath to push out the rest. Having a snorkel with a purge valve helps a lot. www.swimoutlet.com/.../ I occasionally get a little panicky on long sets with the snorkel if I'm going hard. I typically use mine for kicking, sculling and warming up to get the body and arms aligned. It definitely takes some time to get used to them, but stick with it. It gives you another tool in your belt to use to help your stroke improve.
  • Are we sure the snorkel is worth the effort?
  • Are we sure the snorkel is worth the effort? Absolutely I do! When I use it, it gives me a chance to work on form. You can watch your hand entry and create some balance. I'm terrible about breathing 90% to my right, so using a snorkel helps get the stroke back into alignment. I use it just about daily in warmup (for about 200-300y) and my coach has seen a difference in the form. I also find it useful in kick sets to keep the body in a more natural swimming position, rather than arched back as you lean on the board. And it's great for sculling. In all of these instances, it takes the variable of turning your head to breathe so that you can focus on good form.
  • With practice your follow up questions should answered and solved. I have used 3 brands: the finis freestyle, aquasphere mp, and TYR. The finis seems easiest to learn on, but the aquasphere is the best for performance. They’re great for recreational, scenic OW swims too. Just remember to routinely disinfect device