Chaffing - what product to use

Former Member
Former Member
Hello all, I raced the St Croix coral reef swim a few weeks ago and used some body glide around where I though I might chafe. I didn't consider my actual armpits. WOOF, that hurt putting on deodorant after the race. What products are using for chaffing control in the salt water? bodyglide seems okay but I have a few longer swims planned for next year (7 and 12 miles) thx
Parents
  • I don't think there is anything that really helps avoid the stings, though there are two products that claim to. One is named Safe Sea or Swim (I think), but it had zero effect for me. I don't recall the other one. What is VERY effective for the inevitable itch is Fluocinonide 0.05% cream. It's a prescription and gives 6-8 hours complete relief. I've had my entire torso covered by bites after Bermuda and Lido Key swims, and this cream was a godsend. Yeah, I had heard of "Safe Sea" before but never tried it. So, IVO your mention of it, I decided to order some. Maybe it'll work...maybe it won't. But...as the equinox approaches, springtime and warmer waters are just around the corner (not really beacause I live in New England and it's at least five months until water is warm enough for even wetsuit swimming). I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there. 12225 Dan
  • I don't think there is anything that really helps avoid the stings, though there are two products that claim to. One is named Safe Sea or Swim (I think), but it had zero effect for me. I don't recall the other one. What is VERY effective for the inevitable itch is Fluocinonide 0.05% cream. It's a prescription and gives 6-8 hours complete relief. I've had my entire torso covered by bites after Bermuda and Lido Key swims, and this cream was a godsend. Yeah, I had heard of "Safe Sea" before but never tried it. So, IVO your mention of it, I decided to order some. Maybe it'll work...maybe it won't. But...as the equinox approaches, springtime and warmer waters are just around the corner (not really beacause I live in New England and it's at least five months until water is warm enough for even wetsuit swimming). I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there. 12225 Dan
Children
No Data