Chaffing - what product to use

Former Member
Former Member
Hello all, I raced the St Croix coral reef swim a few weeks ago and used some body glide around where I though I might chafe. I didn't consider my actual armpits. WOOF, that hurt putting on deodorant after the race. What products are using for chaffing control in the salt water? bodyglide seems okay but I have a few longer swims planned for next year (7 and 12 miles) thx
  • Hayes - isn't STX amazing? Fun race. Sounds like you're looking at Key West and Lido Key races next year. :) Key West is a fun challenge. Haven't yet done Lido, but hear its done well. I use liberal amounts of Vaseline for my ocean races and haven't had problems.
  • I used Desitin (baby diaper ointment) for the first time last summer. I couldn’t believe how resilient it is even compared to Vaseline. After an eight mile salt water swim it was as if it had just been applied. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Duh, I didn't even thing of vaseline. Cheap and easily available. I'll use that too. Yes, signed up for Lido in April and I'll be swimming across Lake Tahoe in August (solo but boat support). Attending a swim camp/vacation in St Kitts in March but didnt' think that would be enough prep for Key West. Maybe 2021 though after a year of long distance build (I would love to relocate to STX or St Thomas, its a magical place!!)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Thanks all, very helpful !
  • St. Croix is such a gorgeous swim! Desitin is perfect if you need sun protection, too. But for a 5 mile swim, Vaseline will be as effective and easier to remove. I use Desitin for a swimover 4-5 hours, depending on the sun/location. Baby Oil or Ponds Cold Cream and a disposable towel are hugely helpful for after the swim.
  • Desitin for the win. My first 10k back in 2011 (?) I used body glide and ended up with chaffing so bad I had the marks from chaffing 9+ months later. Once I've switched to baby butt cream I've yet to have any chaffing issues. And yes, definitely coat it on your armpits!
  • While we're on the topic of products to use to combat chaffing...I wonder if anyone can comment on how/if Desitin works against jellyfish larvae (aka Sea Lice)? For the past few years I've been doing a majority of my open water swimming from a beach in upper Narragansett Bay (actually in what's called the Sakonnet River on the east side of Aquidneck Island) just a few blocks from my house. It's salt water, but it's a few miles from the open ocean. Consequently, jellyfish hatch there and in the spring and early summer I've fallen victim to attacks from the larvae several times. It isn't "painful"...just a nuisance that results in an itchy rash sort of thing. They're tiny, so small you can't see them in the water. And actually I can't really feel their sting...until the next day when it itches like crazy. Hydrocortisone helps relieve the itch. But I'm looking for something that might combat the sting altogether. Mostly where they get trapped in your hairline and armpits, under swimsuit bands, pubic hair, etc. Sometimes on open skin. Can anyone say if Desitin prevents the sting of these little bastards, or recommend something that does? Dan
  • I don't think there is anything that really helps avoid the stings, though there are two products that claim to. One is named Safe Sea or Swim (I think), but it had zero effect for me. I don't recall the other one. What is VERY effective for the inevitable itch is Fluocinonide 0.05% cream. It's a prescription and gives 6-8 hours complete relief. I've had my entire torso covered by bites after Bermuda and Lido Key swims, and this cream was a godsend.
  • I don't think there is anything that really helps avoid the stings, though there are two products that claim to. One is named Safe Sea or Swim (I think), but it had zero effect for me. I don't recall the other one. What is VERY effective for the inevitable itch is Fluocinonide 0.05% cream. It's a prescription and gives 6-8 hours complete relief. I've had my entire torso covered by bites after Bermuda and Lido Key swims, and this cream was a godsend. Yeah, I had heard of "Safe Sea" before but never tried it. So, IVO your mention of it, I decided to order some. Maybe it'll work...maybe it won't. But...as the equinox approaches, springtime and warmer waters are just around the corner (not really beacause I live in New England and it's at least five months until water is warm enough for even wetsuit swimming). I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there. 12225 Dan