Spinal issues and open water techniques

I have a few swimmers with spine related issues and wanted to see if anyone had any experience or techinques for Open Water swimmer with spinal immobility. Specifically: - Swimmers with scoliosis corrective surgery and have limited to no head extension /ability to raise the head up and tarzan or peep sight. - Help with rotation for breathing in choppy water. One swimmer I have in particular has alot of open water experience and is planning to do a 5k swim, but right now she is almost having to come to a complete stop to do any sighting. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you, Brian Kozera SVY Multisport Gators Royersford PA USAT/USMS
  • I have a few swimmers with spine related issues and wanted to see if anyone had any experience or techinques for Open Water swimmer with spinal immobility. Specifically: - Swimmers with scoliosis corrective surgery and have limited to no head extension /ability to raise the head up and tarzan or peep sight. - Help with rotation for breathing in choppy water. One swimmer I have in particular has alot of open water experience and is planning to do a 5k swim, but right now she is almost having to come to a complete stop to do any sighting. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you, Brian Kozera SVY Multisport Gators Royersford PA USAT/USMS Do they have issues kicking?
  • Can they *** stroke? I saw a bunch of European young people (~1:05 to 1:10 for 5k) do the following at an OW swim I did years ago: Swim free, when wanting to sight they'd stop the follow through on one arm and when the second arm caught up with the first (extended out in front of the body) they'd immediately do one *** stroke, and while the head was up they'd sight, then they'd go back to crawl. They were amazingly fast at doing this and lost, I think, very little of their forward momentum. The water wasn't too choppy, but I think it would work even in moderately choppy water. I'm just not sure if your swimmers with back issues would have issues with *** stroke.