St. Kitts - Nevis cross channel swim

I'm going to this event later this month. First open-water swim in the Caribbean. Anyone participated in this event in the past? Particularly any specifics about the expected water temperature? Thanks, J
  • i've done scuba diving at st kitts but that was in late june and not that crossing. i am sure you will find the water to be nice good luck and be safe!
  • Thanks, I will. Any tips on how to deal with the salt water taste during a long swim?
  • Not really. For 3 miles it won't be too bad. If you have someone meeting you at the finish line, you could see if they'll have a nice Painkiller or Pina Colada waiting for you. :) My cousin does that for me. On a more serious note, when I did a kayak supported swim, my paddler brought out gummy bears at one point. Putting those in between my teeth and cheek to melt helped cut the salt a bit.
  • Any tips on how to deal with the salt water taste during a long swim? Have your kayak support person bring lime wedges and a pocket flask of Tequila?
  • Have your kayak support person bring lime wedges and a pocket flask of Tequila? I like both of those ideas!
  • I think the water is in the upper 70s to low 80s all year round there. It's delightful! You'll love the Caribbean swims where you can see clearly. Come back and let us know how you do and your experience. I think there's a thread for Race Reports in the Open Water forum and you could put it there. This one is on my list to do one day so I'd love to hear about it. Good luck! Another one you need to put on your bucket list is the St John Beach to Beach swim which is held Memorial Day weekend every year. It's gorgeous!
  • Have your kayak support person bring lime wedges and a pocket flask of Tequila? Ooooh.... now you're talking!
  • Hi! I swam around Key West and that was very salty, too. I had my kayaker supplied with banana slices in snack baggies. I really liked the consistency and taste of those in the salty water. I have heard that swishing your mouth with mouth wash helps, although, I have never tried that...Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Have your kayak support person bring lime wedges and a pocket flask of Tequila? Love this advice..
  • Race was as advertised. 75 (at least) degree, clear, tropical water. Some chop, but mostly pushing in the direction of the finish. You can see the bottom all the way across the channel. Overall, it was well organized and well run.