La Jolla Rough Water - cancelled again :(

Just saw this - www.ljrws.com/.../LJRWS-Press-PR-1-2016.pdf - and I am totally bummed.
  • Oh, that sucks. Sure glad I hadn't planned on swimming it this year! Kind of surprising they'd pull the plug this early.
  • Yeah. I was really hoping to do it again this year. I'm now considering the Dana Point swim on Sep 18th - www.nadadoresroughwaterswim.org/.../
  • Yeah. I was really hoping to do it again this year. I'm now considering the Dana Point swim on Sep 18th - www.nadadoresroughwaterswim.org/.../ I did that swim in 2013 when it was the 1-3 mile National Championship held in conjunction with Summer Nationals. It is a good one! Highly recommended. Some people were freaked out by the kelp, which was quite thick in some places when swimming through it, so that's something to consider, I guess, if it could be an issue for you.
  • I did that swim in 2013 when it was the 1-3 mile National Championship held in conjunction with Summer Nationals. It is a good one! Highly recommended. Some people were freaked out by the kelp, which was quite thick in some places when swimming through it, so that's something to consider, I guess, if it could be an issue for you. I swam it that year, too. There was definitely lots of kelp and pretty good sized surf! At the start of the race I didn't quite manage to dive through a wave and got swept way back, but then at the finish I caught a nice wave to body surf into the finish. Someone caught this cool photo. I'm #204 :)
  • I swam it that year, too. There was definitely lots of kelp and pretty good sized surf! At the start of the race I didn't quite manage to dive through a wave and got swept way back, but then at the finish I caught a nice wave to body surf into the finish. Someone caught this cool photo. I'm #204 :) Great photo, Kirk!
  • I remember seeing the photo on Facebook after the swim, but now I don't remember who posted it. Thanks to whoever did!
  • I did that swim in 2013 when it was the 1-3 mile National Championship held in conjunction with Summer Nationals. It is a good one! Highly recommended. Some people were freaked out by the kelp, which was quite thick in some places when swimming through it, so that's something to consider, I guess, if it could be an issue for you.Thanks for the note. I actually like swimming through kelp as that's almost always a feature of the La Jolla swim. I look at kelp as a way to get a little bit stronger pull!
  • Thanks for the note. I actually like swimming through kelp as that's almost always a feature of the La Jolla swim. I look at kelp as a way to get a little bit stronger pull! That's how I felt about it too! Every once in a while I'd catch a piece perfectly so that it completely covered my hand and felt like a paddle, giving me a big boost for that pull!
  • Well, now that I noticed you can swim BOTH the 1 mile and the 2 mile races at the Salt Creek Swim (www.nadadoresroughwaterswim.org/.../), I'm signed up and planning on it.
  • I remember they had to fish a few out because of the surf or whatever. I also remember a rectangular course with not a lot of markings. I believe I did a triangle and was sent back to complete which added at least 5 minutes to my time. Beautiful location, however. As far as LaJolla goes, I believe they were having some city meeting to figure out what to do with the overabundance of sea lions (and presumably their turds) recently.