Tight goggles?

I did the Lake Berryessa swim Sat. and had some problems that were new to me. I had gotten some shiny new goggles (yes, I tried them in the pool first). I was concerned they might leak, so I had them sufficiently snug. I began the 2 mile, and things were going along swimmingly. I was also happy the goggles were not leaking. Then they started to feel too tight, and I thought that might get annoying after awhile. Instead it turned into a bone crushing headache followed by nausea, dizziness, and overall bad! Kinda like seasickness?? I had serious concerns about finishing or continuing with the 1 mile event later. I managed to finish with a disgustingly slow time. I switched to my old goggles, took a breather, drank some water, put the cold bottle on my head, and headed out for the 1 mile. The headache was gone as soon as the goggles were off, and I felt a tiny bit better. When I started swimming I felt quite a bit better but no where near 100%. Finished fine (still slow). Other than the goggles, I have no idea what went wrong. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any other thoughts on why my body misbehaved? Open water swimming usually cures what ails me. So I am very puzzled and a little depressed and disgusted with myself!
  • Yeah, I've had that issue and just loosening the straps helped. You can also change the angles of the straps themselves so if you have them spread out, pull them together closer to parallel. You only need them barely tight enough to keep the water out.
  • This is pretty common and even more so for swims over 30minutes. I've had goggles that I love in the pool but in OW swims I can't use them because in order to get a tight seal I have to tighten them to the point that they become uncomfortable at 30minutes and will cause sever headaches after that. I have also encountered some slight headaches from goggles that distort my vision. I always suggest that with any pair of goggles that you put some time into them before doing a major swim. Pool time and OW time is different because if you are like most people you probably take your goggles off your eyes between sets, even if it is just clearing them from fog or water.