Will this wetsuit work for a newbie?

I am training for my first organized open water swim - the Oxford Belview Sharkfest in Maryland this May. Water temperatures are predicted to be high sixties to low seventies. I have a lifetime of experience with recreational swimming in muddy lakes and rivers as well as scuba diving, so the open water part doesn't creep me out. My masters coach feels I will be ready conditioning wise based on pool workouts. My goal is to do the 1500 m in under the 40 minutes allowed and to place better than last place in my 50-55 age group. My question is whether I can get by with a SCUBA wetsuit I already own. I'd rather not spend the money on a triathlon suit until I know that this sport is for me. I presently have 0.5 mm full length suit that I often combine with a 2 mm vest, and they have served me well for SCUBA diving. I've been considering getting lavacore shirt to go under or upgrading to a 3/2 SCUBA suit (which I know will get much use). Would any of these work for a first open water swim for a person whose goal is just to finish without embarassing myself? Any advice would be appreciated
Parents
  • Yes you can get by with a SCUBA wetsuit. The main issue you will have is that SCUBA wetsuits are not designed for the range of motion for freestyle. You can swim but there will be some reduced range of motion. You should try the wetsuit in a pool practice to see how much it effects you.
  • Yes you can get by with a SCUBA wetsuit. The main issue you will have is that SCUBA wetsuits are not designed for the range of motion for freestyle. You can swim but there will be some reduced range of motion. You should try the wetsuit in a pool practice to see how much it effects you.
Children
No Data