Will this wetsuit work for a newbie?

I am training for my first organized open water swim - the Oxford Belview Sharkfest in Maryland this May. Water temperatures are predicted to be high sixties to low seventies. I have a lifetime of experience with recreational swimming in muddy lakes and rivers as well as scuba diving, so the open water part doesn't creep me out. My masters coach feels I will be ready conditioning wise based on pool workouts. My goal is to do the 1500 m in under the 40 minutes allowed and to place better than last place in my 50-55 age group. My question is whether I can get by with a SCUBA wetsuit I already own. I'd rather not spend the money on a triathlon suit until I know that this sport is for me. I presently have 0.5 mm full length suit that I often combine with a 2 mm vest, and they have served me well for SCUBA diving. I've been considering getting lavacore shirt to go under or upgrading to a 3/2 SCUBA suit (which I know will get much use). Would any of these work for a first open water swim for a person whose goal is just to finish without embarassing myself? Any advice would be appreciated
  • Yes you can get by with a SCUBA wetsuit. The main issue you will have is that SCUBA wetsuits are not designed for the range of motion for freestyle. You can swim but there will be some reduced range of motion. You should try the wetsuit in a pool practice to see how much it effects you.
  • You might be ok without a wetsuit w that water temperature. Depends on your cold tolerance, but I can manage pretty much fine in just a swimsuit in high 60s/70s, even as low as 64/65. If you get a chance to swim in the same location maybe try with and without a wetsuit. You'd be surprised how fast you get used to the water. You might even be too warm if temps hit the 70s, especially if you're pushing yourself as you would in a race. Wish you a successful swim! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • If you want a great starter wetsuit, check out the Xterra Outlet and go for the $99 Volt - xterraoutlet.com/.../wetsuits. I bought a version of this years ago and it's the only wetsuit I need. I find water temps below 65 to be intolerable beyond 20 minutes.
  • You might be ok without a wetsuit w that water temperature. In my opinion those kind of temps are actually ideal for an open water swim without a wet suit. Get below "upper sixties" and things will be a little chilly.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    If you want a great starter wetsuit, check out the Xterra Outlet and go for the $99 Volt - xterraoutlet.com/.../wetsuits. I bought a version of this years ago and it's the only wetsuit I need. I find water temps below 65 to be intolerable beyond 20 minutes. That's very nice wetsuit.
  • I think it would be well worth investing in a wetsuit designed for swimming, if you are going to use one. Not only is there improved range of motion, but probably less problems with chaffing. Body glide can help this too on your neck, arm pits and crotch. Sleeveless wetsuit further reduces impact on your pull, and would be ok at that temperature. Some find the open arm/neck area a problem with water entering, but I haven't. Swimming wetsuits are designed to reduce drag and provide buoyancy (which you might or might not like) in addition to warmth. I like Xterra's wetsuits and have both sleeveless and full relatively inexpensive suits. Blue seventy makes great wetsuits for swimmers, but they are more expensive and I've not ever tried one. Upper 60s is about as cold as I would want without some kind of wetsuit (I'm 65-69 AG so a little warmer is a good thing).
  • get a cheap long john. They don't have to be high quality because the shoulder design and mobility is taken out of the equation.