Open water motion sickness

Greetings, i tried a long open water swim in 2012. I got sea-sick! Had to pull out of the event. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a good cure? Thanks. Steve
Parents
  • Hi Steve! If you have support, have them bring along some bits of candied ginger (can find it in the spice aisle or in a cooking store) or flat ginger ale and feed it to you if/when you start to feel even a little queasy. Papaya enzyme (find health food store) can also help a queasy belly. Also, what are you doing for feeds? You might want to try out some different types of calorie drinks if what you're using has too much sugar. I had great success using UCAN before long swims and sips at 20-30 minute intervals after the first hour. This stuff keeps the blood sugar very steady (no sugar spikes like with gels or sports drinks) and I actually didn't feel hungry until the very end. Try out new stuff on your long training swims to test out new products and you may find something that stays steady in your belly. - Kari
  • Hi Steve! If you have support, have them bring along some bits of candied ginger (can find it in the spice aisle or in a cooking store) or flat ginger ale and feed it to you if/when you start to feel even a little queasy. Papaya enzyme (find health food store) can also help a queasy belly. Also, what are you doing for feeds? You might want to try out some different types of calorie drinks if what you're using has too much sugar. I had great success using UCAN before long swims and sips at 20-30 minute intervals after the first hour. This stuff keeps the blood sugar very steady (no sugar spikes like with gels or sports drinks) and I actually didn't feel hungry until the very end. Try out new stuff on your long training swims to test out new products and you may find something that stays steady in your belly. - Kari
Children
No Data