Number of states in which you've done an OW swim event

Former Member
Former Member
While driving back to the hotel after the Chesapeake Bay Swim this past Sunday, we started talking about the different states in which we'd done open water swims. The criteria was that it had to be an organized event (not a workout and not just hopping in a lake). Oh, and it had to be a swim event; not a triathlon. I was allowed to count both Minnesota and Wisconsin because I did a swim where we started in Wisconsin and finished in Minnesota. Here is how many states are on my list. How many are on yours? This may be a good goal - to try to do an organized, open water event in every state! Arkansas Florida Illinois Kansas Maryland Minnesota Missouri Nebraska Texas Wisconsin ...and one territory: Puerto Rico
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Thanks Dave. Congratulations on the Eleuthera Swim. I am determined to return to 8 Bridges, with improved fitness, with the family and enjoy some Hudson River Valley hospitality. Best of luck in all endeavors.
  • Obnoxious, indeed. We'll see how I feel come August. Maybe I'll take a stab at it myself. Either way, I'll join you at at least one of them..
  • Kansas Georgia South Carolina Best name for an OW event: Little Swim on the Prairie
  • Former Member
    Kansas Georgia South Carolina Best name for an OW event: Little Swim on the Prairie Woo hoo! I helped name that event! :bouncing: I believe we started it in 1991 and held it annually for about 10 years.
  • While driving back to the hotel after the Chesapeake Bay Swim this past Sunday, we started talking about the different states in which we'd done open water swims. The criteria was that it had to be an organized event (not a workout and not just hopping in a lake). Oh, and it had to be a swim event; not a triathlon. I was allowed to count both Minnesota and Wisconsin because I did a swim where we started in Wisconsin and finished in Minnesota. Here is how many states are on my list. How many are on yours? This may be a good goal - to try to do an organized, open water event in every state! Arkansas Florida Illinois Kansas Maryland Minnesota Missouri Nebraska Texas Wisconsin ...and one territory: Puerto Rico When you did that swim from Wisconsin to Minnesota was that crossing the Mississippi River in the summer of 1999? I did that swim as well after the National in Minneapolis.
  • Former Member
    When you did that swim from Wisconsin to Minnesota was that crossing the Mississippi River in the summer of 1999? I did that swim as well after the National in Minneapolis. Yes, that's correct. Paul Windrath organized it. On the last day of the 1999 LC Nationals, we all boarded a charter bus and rode 60 miles to Stockholm, Wisconsin. Everyone jumped into the water and swam across the river to Lake City, Minnesota. That was a really fun swim.
  • Former Member
    I've done three organized open water swims. All were involuntary. One was the swim leg of a triathlon relay in Florida. The other two were one mile races at a lake 15 minutes from my house in California. I may be able to add Nevada next month. I assume part of the Trans-Tahoe race is in Nevada. I'm being dragged to that one, whining the whole way about water temp.
  • Woo hoo! I helped name that event! :bouncing: I believe we started it in 1991 and held it annually for about 10 years. I lifeguarded and swam the Little Swim on the Prairie. Shawnee Mission Park is such a gem! Love your profile pic, Jayhawk, but the name, not so much ... I'm a proud K-State Wildcat!
  • For me so far: Vermont New York Massachusetts Maine Rhode Island Just need two more to complete New England :presents2: Nice. What did you do in Maine? That's my home state, though I'm currently in grad school in Oregon. OW events - Maine (Echo Lake 1.5 mile swim, multiple years) and Nevada (USMS 10k OW Nationals 2013) If we count triathlon swims: Mass., NH, Maine States I've swum in: ME, NH, MA, CO, NV, OR, WA Another fun one is list-the-college-pools you've swum in ... mine: Oregon State University, University of Maine at Orono, University of Maine at Farmington, Husson, Bowdoin College, Colby College, Harvard, Boston University, University of Denver
  • Hey tigerchik. I've enjoyed the Peaks to Portland for the last four years, out in Casco Bay. I'd like to do the Nubble swim at some point. Some great OW swimming in your home state :) I like your college idea. Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk