New 5-Mile Swim in Richmond, VA

"To the Bridge & Back" is a new open water swim in Richmond, VA. It's late in the year - October 13, 2012- so it gives you plenty of time to prepare and doesn't conflict with most of the major swims out there. Entry fees are low, especially if you register with your own kayaker. All of the details can be found at www.PelusoOpenWater.com
Parents
  • I've done this as a training swim, most recently a couple springs ago. I think water temp in the fall should be fine. The current is usually not a problem but it can be brutal; once it took me 4-5 times longer to reach the bridge than it did to come back. After you turn the bend you think the bridge is only 10-20 minutes away and you pick it up...an hour later you're still swimming towards that darn bridge... Of course, in such circumstances there is always the entertainment value: I've seen some of the weaker swimmers -- aka triathletes (sorry, Jay :)) -- actually go backwards when swimming against the current. Assuming it doesn't conflict with anything, I'll be there. It will be fun. With this ringing endorsement of agony and horror, why not? Oh, and I will be wearing a wetsuit. Speaking of triathletes, I just got removed from a tri forum for mocking a person who took a 3 hour swim course and now coaches a "Masters" team.
  • I've done this as a training swim, most recently a couple springs ago. I think water temp in the fall should be fine. The current is usually not a problem but it can be brutal; once it took me 4-5 times longer to reach the bridge than it did to come back. After you turn the bend you think the bridge is only 10-20 minutes away and you pick it up...an hour later you're still swimming towards that darn bridge... Of course, in such circumstances there is always the entertainment value: I've seen some of the weaker swimmers -- aka triathletes (sorry, Jay :)) -- actually go backwards when swimming against the current. Assuming it doesn't conflict with anything, I'll be there. It will be fun. With this ringing endorsement of agony and horror, why not? Oh, and I will be wearing a wetsuit. Speaking of triathletes, I just got removed from a tri forum for mocking a person who took a 3 hour swim course and now coaches a "Masters" team.
Children
No Data