Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    As a runner and swimmer- Realize that with each marathon run out of 50,000 runners one death will occur. We recently had a death in the rock and roll marathon at 9 miles with a relatively young runner. These statistics were posted and a death during the LA rock and roll marathon had occurred the week prior. Recently I did to Alcatraz swim and as an experienced swimmer and triathlete it was tough. Much tougher on my heart than the half marathon I did four months later. The event was set up safely and with alot of support. I literally could navigate the swimming by the number of kayaks set up to support the race on either side of the course. No other swim I have done(key west and charleston 12milers) has had this extreme support. I made the decision years ago to hurt suffer and die as an athlete rather than sit on my couch and wait till death found me.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    As a runner and swimmer- Realize that with each marathon run out of 50,000 runners one death will occur. We recently had a death in the rock and roll marathon at 9 miles with a relatively young runner. These statistics were posted and a death during the LA rock and roll marathon had occurred the week prior. Recently I did to Alcatraz swim and as an experienced swimmer and triathlete it was tough. Much tougher on my heart than the half marathon I did four months later. The event was set up safely and with alot of support. I literally could navigate the swimming by the number of kayaks set up to support the race on either side of the course. No other swim I have done(key west and charleston 12milers) has had this extreme support. I made the decision years ago to hurt suffer and die as an athlete rather than sit on my couch and wait till death found me.
Children
No Data