Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
Parents
  • Thanks for the reminder Ron. The medical examiner released the autopsy results in November. The official cause of death was cardiac arrythmia. I think it is also significant to note that there was no water found in her lungs meaning that her death likely was instantaneous. As a sidebar, last weekend I attended the 2008 USA Triathlon Race Directors Symposium in Colorado Springs. Last year, there were a total of 6 fatalities in USAT sanctioned events (the most ever). All were of a medical nature and 5 occurred during the swim portion of the event - one literally with a kayaker next to the swimmer. Five of the six race directors were in attendance at the symposium and we had a separate meeting with USAT officials and ourselves to discuss what happened in each situation, to discuss what if anything can be done to further enhance the safety of the swim leg of triathlons and to discuss crisis and post-crisis protocols to ensure that all the right things are done for the family. As the sport of triathlon grows bigger (USAT reached 100,000 members in 2007) and as open water swimming gains popularity due to the advent of the 10k open water swim in the 2008 Bejing Olypmics, I can only surmise that these tragic occurrences will continue. The positive side is that with these deaths on the radar screen of USAT race directors, swims will probably be as safe as they can ever get as safety plans are reviewed and revised wherever possible. And last but not least and not that this necessarily would have made a difference in Sally Lowes situation but I ask each of you when you had your last thorough medical examination. If it's been a while, you owe it to yourself, to your spouse and to your children to get one. Life is way too short to have an existing medical condition go undetected and untreated. To a safe and great 2008. Gary
  • Thanks for the reminder Ron. The medical examiner released the autopsy results in November. The official cause of death was cardiac arrythmia. I think it is also significant to note that there was no water found in her lungs meaning that her death likely was instantaneous. As a sidebar, last weekend I attended the 2008 USA Triathlon Race Directors Symposium in Colorado Springs. Last year, there were a total of 6 fatalities in USAT sanctioned events (the most ever). All were of a medical nature and 5 occurred during the swim portion of the event - one literally with a kayaker next to the swimmer. Five of the six race directors were in attendance at the symposium and we had a separate meeting with USAT officials and ourselves to discuss what happened in each situation, to discuss what if anything can be done to further enhance the safety of the swim leg of triathlons and to discuss crisis and post-crisis protocols to ensure that all the right things are done for the family. As the sport of triathlon grows bigger (USAT reached 100,000 members in 2007) and as open water swimming gains popularity due to the advent of the 10k open water swim in the 2008 Bejing Olypmics, I can only surmise that these tragic occurrences will continue. The positive side is that with these deaths on the radar screen of USAT race directors, swims will probably be as safe as they can ever get as safety plans are reviewed and revised wherever possible. And last but not least and not that this necessarily would have made a difference in Sally Lowes situation but I ask each of you when you had your last thorough medical examination. If it's been a while, you owe it to yourself, to your spouse and to your children to get one. Life is way too short to have an existing medical condition go undetected and untreated. To a safe and great 2008. Gary
Children
No Data