Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Fred, Thanks for the update. If you could let us know the results of the medical examiner's report when it is available, that would be great. It may help to counter the negativity we participants (and RDs). As to RDs getting flak about "unsafe events", all I can say is that anyone who makes such a charge has no idea what they are talking about. It is simple probability theory. If one out of 10,000 people is likely to die while exercising, then an event that has had 10,000 participants is likely to have a death occur. It is no reflection on the organizers, it is simple math. I understand the "RD's nightmare", but the nightmare is due to the attacks by the ignorant and those in the media who want to create a saleable story. It is not that the RD has somehow failed to exercise due caution. Every OWS, cycling, or running event I have done has been safer than driving to the event. RDs: Hang in there, you do a great job.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Fred, Thanks for the update. If you could let us know the results of the medical examiner's report when it is available, that would be great. It may help to counter the negativity we participants (and RDs). As to RDs getting flak about "unsafe events", all I can say is that anyone who makes such a charge has no idea what they are talking about. It is simple probability theory. If one out of 10,000 people is likely to die while exercising, then an event that has had 10,000 participants is likely to have a death occur. It is no reflection on the organizers, it is simple math. I understand the "RD's nightmare", but the nightmare is due to the attacks by the ignorant and those in the media who want to create a saleable story. It is not that the RD has somehow failed to exercise due caution. Every OWS, cycling, or running event I have done has been safer than driving to the event. RDs: Hang in there, you do a great job.
Children
No Data