Times for 50m freestyle (avg->good->great)?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, thread below on attaining a 24s 50m free got me wondering on time ranges for 50m freestyle. Amongst masters swimmers, can you give me the rough ranges for what is considered beginner, decent/competitive, and top range? (Age is 30, if it helps). Broad ranges are fine. Even though I'm not training for the clock, I realized I'm operating in a vacuum in this regard and it'd be very interesting to see. Thanks!
Parents
  • Are we talking long course here or short course? I'll assume short course. I'd say a "beginner" time is around 40 seconds. Obviously talented athletes might be faster, but I think that's a good ballpark figure for your average Joe. "Good" would probably be under 30 seconds. This is a time where at most meets you'll probably beat a few people, but plenty of people will also beat you. Is that good? Kind of depends on the definition. "Top range" to me means you are making Top Ten or very close. In 2010 the tenth place time in the 50 SCM free was 25.10 for the 30-34 age group. I feel that my 26.6 lcm 50 free this past weekend was pretty average even though it is a classified AAA time... and my 1:00.1 in the 100m free was pretty terrible, but it somehow comes in at AAAA? I agree. If this is true maybe there's an error in the tables. A 26.6 seems like a much better swim to me than a 1:00.1.
  • Are we talking long course here or short course? I'll assume short course. I'd say a "beginner" time is around 40 seconds. Obviously talented athletes might be faster, but I think that's a good ballpark figure for your average Joe. "Good" would probably be under 30 seconds. This is a time where at most meets you'll probably beat a few people, but plenty of people will also beat you. Is that good? Kind of depends on the definition. "Top range" to me means you are making Top Ten or very close. In 2010 the tenth place time in the 50 SCM free was 25.10 for the 30-34 age group. I feel that my 26.6 lcm 50 free this past weekend was pretty average even though it is a classified AAA time... and my 1:00.1 in the 100m free was pretty terrible, but it somehow comes in at AAAA? I agree. If this is true maybe there's an error in the tables. A 26.6 seems like a much better swim to me than a 1:00.1.
Children
No Data