Times for 50m freestyle (avg->good->great)?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, thread below on attaining a 24s 50m free got me wondering on time ranges for 50m freestyle. Amongst masters swimmers, can you give me the rough ranges for what is considered beginner, decent/competitive, and top range? (Age is 30, if it helps). Broad ranges are fine. Even though I'm not training for the clock, I realized I'm operating in a vacuum in this regard and it'd be very interesting to see. Thanks!
  • I notice my speed is indirectly proportional to qty of running i do.
  • The op didn't specify that they wanted times -v- meet swimmers, I think they said for masters swimmers. There's probably just a handful of swimmers on my team who could swim a 50 LCM free under 30 sec, less than 10% for sure. And among all masters swimmers, I'd guess a similar percentage. Apparently you don't understand how this works. It's not about how you view the world, it is about reported times, which obviously means meet swimmers. A sub 30 50 LCM is fast, but nothing special, hence it gets an A time. That's kind of how it shapes up in USS also. I think the time charts very accurately reflect what I've seen at meets and knowing some very fast swimmers. If 50% could throw down a :30 it wouldn't be very fast, and certainly not an "A" time.
  • A sub 30 50 LCM is fast, but nothing special, hence it gets an A time. until you turn 45, 30.19 is good for AA
  • The OP asked for "the rough ranges for what is considered beginner, decent/competitive, and top range." The motivational times won't tell you that -- it is certainly not the case that just because someone fails to make even a B time that they are a "beginner."
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I swim with a large group, typically 35-40 swimmers at practice, and I'm usually in the 2nd or 3rd fastest lane (occasionally the fastest). I don't come anywhere near NQT's for any events, let alone top 10 times. In the chart referenced above, I'd be lucky to be in the B range. Maybe I just swim with slow swimmers, but my experiences have been similar when I've swum with other teams. I think those charts are just a bit aggressive. Those charts target meet swimmers. If you aren't swimming meets regularly, I don't think they offer much guidance. Lane position is determined by a combination of aerobic capacity and speed, not speed alone and a lot of fast swimmers train on their own. Finally, those charts are built off percentages, not percentiles so the B cut is 40% slower than what it would take to make the top ten (roughly), so they can't be aggressive, your age group is just fast.
  • Former Member
    I think those charts are just a bit aggressive. I sometimes say that about the top ten times :angel:
  • Former Member
    I'm not sure what one would want... C,D,E,...,Y,Z groups that go up to 10 minutes for a 50 just to be able to classify everyone in a group for the sake of inclusivity?
  • The definition of fast is always slightly faster than you are right now. I love that! It's true.
  • Look at the state & national times of past meets to see how you rate.
  • Former Member
    The definition of fast is always slightly faster than you are right now.