Times for 50m freestyle (avg->good->great)?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, thread below on attaining a 24s 50m free got me wondering on time ranges for 50m freestyle. Amongst masters swimmers, can you give me the rough ranges for what is considered beginner, decent/competitive, and top range? (Age is 30, if it helps). Broad ranges are fine. Even though I'm not training for the clock, I realized I'm operating in a vacuum in this regard and it'd be very interesting to see. Thanks!
Parents
  • The op didn't specify that they wanted times -v- meet swimmers, I think they said for masters swimmers. There's probably just a handful of swimmers on my team who could swim a 50 LCM free under 30 sec, less than 10% for sure. And among all masters swimmers, I'd guess a similar percentage. Apparently you don't understand how this works. It's not about how you view the world, it is about reported times, which obviously means meet swimmers. A sub 30 50 LCM is fast, but nothing special, hence it gets an A time. That's kind of how it shapes up in USS also. I think the time charts very accurately reflect what I've seen at meets and knowing some very fast swimmers. If 50% could throw down a :30 it wouldn't be very fast, and certainly not an "A" time.
  • The op didn't specify that they wanted times -v- meet swimmers, I think they said for masters swimmers. There's probably just a handful of swimmers on my team who could swim a 50 LCM free under 30 sec, less than 10% for sure. And among all masters swimmers, I'd guess a similar percentage. Apparently you don't understand how this works. It's not about how you view the world, it is about reported times, which obviously means meet swimmers. A sub 30 50 LCM is fast, but nothing special, hence it gets an A time. That's kind of how it shapes up in USS also. I think the time charts very accurately reflect what I've seen at meets and knowing some very fast swimmers. If 50% could throw down a :30 it wouldn't be very fast, and certainly not an "A" time.
Children
No Data