Does cycling help swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Does the way the muscles are used in cycling help with swimming? I feel it does. When pedaling the bike it makes me think of kicking in freestyle, especially 2 beat kicks (of course I don't mean I kick the way I pedal a bike).
Parents
  • It sounds like you are saying that swimming helps cycling but not the other way around. Why would it only be one-way? As far as weight control, unlike most of the posters on this forum, I don't see much correlation with the type of exercise I do. For me it is controlled almost entirely by my discipline in controlling diet/nutrition for a given duration/intensity of exercise (whether that is swimming or cycling or whatever). I have no idea why it wouldn't work in the reverse, but my timed swims in workouts over the past 7-8 months, since I returned to cycling, haven't changed at all. Maybe it just takes longer. But being able to hit a hill like South Mountain in Phoenix with minimal cycling training on hills tells me something is going on. Perhaps my running helps cycling and swimming doesn't at all. If you do enough of nearly anything you'll burn calories/lose weight. Someone once told me that eating raw carrots has a negative caloric value due to all of the chomping required to eat them. For me, on a time scale, running gives me the most bang for my buck to burn calories/drop weight -v- cycling, and swimming is a distant 3rd. Meaning I'll burn more calories in an hour run than in an hour ride on my bike. I'd need about 1-1/4 hour on the bike to equal an hour run, and about 2 hours+ of swimming.
  • It sounds like you are saying that swimming helps cycling but not the other way around. Why would it only be one-way? As far as weight control, unlike most of the posters on this forum, I don't see much correlation with the type of exercise I do. For me it is controlled almost entirely by my discipline in controlling diet/nutrition for a given duration/intensity of exercise (whether that is swimming or cycling or whatever). I have no idea why it wouldn't work in the reverse, but my timed swims in workouts over the past 7-8 months, since I returned to cycling, haven't changed at all. Maybe it just takes longer. But being able to hit a hill like South Mountain in Phoenix with minimal cycling training on hills tells me something is going on. Perhaps my running helps cycling and swimming doesn't at all. If you do enough of nearly anything you'll burn calories/lose weight. Someone once told me that eating raw carrots has a negative caloric value due to all of the chomping required to eat them. For me, on a time scale, running gives me the most bang for my buck to burn calories/drop weight -v- cycling, and swimming is a distant 3rd. Meaning I'll burn more calories in an hour run than in an hour ride on my bike. I'd need about 1-1/4 hour on the bike to equal an hour run, and about 2 hours+ of swimming.
Children
No Data