Does cycling help swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Does the way the muscles are used in cycling help with swimming? I feel it does. When pedaling the bike it makes me think of kicking in freestyle, especially 2 beat kicks (of course I don't mean I kick the way I pedal a bike).
Parents
  • I wonder if this also works the other way around. I have a half decent breaststroke. On my first real biking outing early this year, I really clobbered some hills, much easier than some more seasoned cyclists I was riding with. As to cycling helping swimming, I have to say no. It sounds like you are saying that swimming helps cycling but not the other way around. Why would it only be one-way? Chris, Why? What kind of running? I just saw this, sorry for missing it earlier. My opinion is that cycling is more effective in building strength/endurance in the quads more than running. As to "what type," I can't think of any type of running that doesn't have a corresponding mode in cycling. And cycling has an additional advantage of gearing that allows you to control gearing to increase the strength needed. You can do high cadence with low load or low cadence with a tough gear (and anything in between). The main advantage of running for conditioning compared to cycling is that you can't "coast" so a given amount of running is harder than the same amount of cycling, all other things equal. On the other hand, you can generally go for longer bike rides. I also think running is not as compatible with the flexible ankles needed for swimming. As far as weight control, unlike most of the posters on this forum, I don't see much correlation with the type of exercise I do. For me it is controlled almost entirely by my discipline in controlling diet/nutrition for a given duration/intensity of exercise (whether that is swimming or cycling or whatever).
  • I wonder if this also works the other way around. I have a half decent breaststroke. On my first real biking outing early this year, I really clobbered some hills, much easier than some more seasoned cyclists I was riding with. As to cycling helping swimming, I have to say no. It sounds like you are saying that swimming helps cycling but not the other way around. Why would it only be one-way? Chris, Why? What kind of running? I just saw this, sorry for missing it earlier. My opinion is that cycling is more effective in building strength/endurance in the quads more than running. As to "what type," I can't think of any type of running that doesn't have a corresponding mode in cycling. And cycling has an additional advantage of gearing that allows you to control gearing to increase the strength needed. You can do high cadence with low load or low cadence with a tough gear (and anything in between). The main advantage of running for conditioning compared to cycling is that you can't "coast" so a given amount of running is harder than the same amount of cycling, all other things equal. On the other hand, you can generally go for longer bike rides. I also think running is not as compatible with the flexible ankles needed for swimming. As far as weight control, unlike most of the posters on this forum, I don't see much correlation with the type of exercise I do. For me it is controlled almost entirely by my discipline in controlling diet/nutrition for a given duration/intensity of exercise (whether that is swimming or cycling or whatever).
Children
No Data