Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    If I remember correctly, Don Schollander in his book, "Deep Water" said he used open turns in the 400 in the 1964 Olympics. Anyone know if swimmers were using goggles in competition during the early 70's? There's a video of Goodell wearing goggles in 76 during the 1500, but I don't think they were that commonly accepted or preferred. When I competed in the 70's, I think only half of my friends at best wore goggles in meets. I never wore them racing, but my longest event was the 200 so it was never a big issue for me. Started swimming again regularly a few years ago- goggle are sooo much better now. I bought my first pair in 73- think they cost less than a buck.
  • I never wore goggles in college in meets(67-71) but when I started Masters in 1974 I wore them in meets.A swimmer in my HS in 65 did the first 25 of the IM SDK regularly.
  • Anyone know if swimmers were using goggles in competition during the early 70's? I remember watching Mark Spitz on TV during the 1972 Olympics and he didn't wear goggles. I was in my last year of high school and no one on my team was wearing them either. I found several videos on YouTube of Mark Spitz swimming and no one was wearing goggles and only one guy had on a cap. I couldn't find any videos of the 1976 Olympics. I wish I had a wayback machine so I could go back to that year to see whether they were more widely used. I suspect they were from what others have said.
  • Former Member
    What about streamlined dolphin kick start (free and back)--when was it introduced? Before the goggles, did the swimmers open or close their eyes underwater?
  • Former Member
    In college, 1970-1974, no goggles. We were supposed to look where we were going so generally I kept my eyes open underwater but not when above (blurry). In graduate school I did not swim for a year or two and when I went back (1976) everyone had goggles. And that concurs with others on this transition!
  • In the video you can see that the lane 1 swimmer does a couple of dolphin kicks after the last turn.
  • And ... Why, oh WHY wasn't I born before 2nd world war ... the IM without breaststroke would have been the perfect event for me :D The original post was wrong. *** has always been part of IM. It was fly that was added (since it wasn't considered a separate stroke prior to 1952).
  • That's prior to 1952. In the 52 games, we used breaststroke kick. I remember all this very well as I was .2 off the world record in Dec. and Jan. 1 they changed the rules. Arggh...................
  • A guy that just joined our team does not wear goggles NOW !!! i let him try a pair of my RX Kiefer goggles & now he loves them .