Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • Anyone know if swimmers were using goggles in competition during the early 70's? I remember watching Mark Spitz on TV during the 1972 Olympics and he didn't wear goggles. I was in my last year of high school and no one on my team was wearing them either. I found several videos on YouTube of Mark Spitz swimming and no one was wearing goggles and only one guy had on a cap. I couldn't find any videos of the 1976 Olympics. I wish I had a wayback machine so I could go back to that year to see whether they were more widely used. I suspect they were from what others have said.
  • Anyone know if swimmers were using goggles in competition during the early 70's? I remember watching Mark Spitz on TV during the 1972 Olympics and he didn't wear goggles. I was in my last year of high school and no one on my team was wearing them either. I found several videos on YouTube of Mark Spitz swimming and no one was wearing goggles and only one guy had on a cap. I couldn't find any videos of the 1976 Olympics. I wish I had a wayback machine so I could go back to that year to see whether they were more widely used. I suspect they were from what others have said.
Children
No Data