Pool chemical allergy - can anyone please help???

Former Member
Former Member
I moved to a community in July that has an indoor pool. Great! I can do water aerobics and enjoy the pool. But I started getting hives and rashes in August. By September 1 I was covered with sores from digging my skin all hours of the day and night. I was told it was dry skin (Having moved from NH to New Mexico) It got worse in spite of all the creams and lotions. I was even put on steroids. That helped - but within two days of stopping them the itch and rash returned. The doctor said it can't be the pool - the pool I use has bromine instead of chlorine - very unusual to be allergic to that. Saw an allergist - nope, can't be the pool. Saw a dermatologist - nope, not the pool. I have all kinds of OTC pills and creams, prescription for creams and pills. Skin clears, I go in the pool for an hour and within 12 hours I want to rip my skin off, in spite of heavy duty anti histimines and all the lotions and creams. Anyone have any suggestions????
Parents
  • What are the chances that it isn't the pool (water) causing the reaction at all? Perhaps there's something in the building. Toxic mold; recently painted with a paint you're allergic to; an automatic air freshener they use; cleaning solutions; hair/body wash they might provide in the showers; etc. It might be worth the time to just go sit in the place (without swimming) for an hour or so just to rule those things out (or in). Dan
  • What are the chances that it isn't the pool (water) causing the reaction at all? Perhaps there's something in the building. Toxic mold; recently painted with a paint you're allergic to; an automatic air freshener they use; cleaning solutions; hair/body wash they might provide in the showers; etc. It might be worth the time to just go sit in the place (without swimming) for an hour or so just to rule those things out (or in). Dan
Children
No Data