Pool chemical allergy - can anyone please help???

Former Member
Former Member
I moved to a community in July that has an indoor pool. Great! I can do water aerobics and enjoy the pool. But I started getting hives and rashes in August. By September 1 I was covered with sores from digging my skin all hours of the day and night. I was told it was dry skin (Having moved from NH to New Mexico) It got worse in spite of all the creams and lotions. I was even put on steroids. That helped - but within two days of stopping them the itch and rash returned. The doctor said it can't be the pool - the pool I use has bromine instead of chlorine - very unusual to be allergic to that. Saw an allergist - nope, can't be the pool. Saw a dermatologist - nope, not the pool. I have all kinds of OTC pills and creams, prescription for creams and pills. Skin clears, I go in the pool for an hour and within 12 hours I want to rip my skin off, in spite of heavy duty anti histimines and all the lotions and creams. Anyone have any suggestions????
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the answers and suggestions. When I went to see the allergist I took a complete listing of all pool chemicals (the person in my gated community gave me the full list) and I took a bottle of the pool water with me. The doctor didn't think it was the issue. But I KNOW that if I don't go in the pool my skin is ok. I go in and within 12 hours my skin itches. Luckily, no breathing issues, although at the beginning there was concern that the rash (covering my whole body so they put me on the steroids) would cause a breathing issue. I will buy some of the DermaSwim. I've bought an anti-chlorine body gel for washing but that hasn't helped. I've put Aquaphor on after I've showered off. I need to get back in the water for exercise. Thank you all for all suggestions. I do very much appreciate your help. Glo I was wondering if you have now found anything that helps? My son is a high school swimmer in Bromine treated pool and is suffering from patchy itchy red spots, especially his neck. His face gets a sunburned look with white only where his goggles were. Thanks for any input! Julie
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the answers and suggestions. When I went to see the allergist I took a complete listing of all pool chemicals (the person in my gated community gave me the full list) and I took a bottle of the pool water with me. The doctor didn't think it was the issue. But I KNOW that if I don't go in the pool my skin is ok. I go in and within 12 hours my skin itches. Luckily, no breathing issues, although at the beginning there was concern that the rash (covering my whole body so they put me on the steroids) would cause a breathing issue. I will buy some of the DermaSwim. I've bought an anti-chlorine body gel for washing but that hasn't helped. I've put Aquaphor on after I've showered off. I need to get back in the water for exercise. Thank you all for all suggestions. I do very much appreciate your help. Glo I was wondering if you have now found anything that helps? My son is a high school swimmer in Bromine treated pool and is suffering from patchy itchy red spots, especially his neck. His face gets a sunburned look with white only where his goggles were. Thanks for any input! Julie
Children
No Data