Pool chemical allergy - can anyone please help???

Former Member
Former Member
I moved to a community in July that has an indoor pool. Great! I can do water aerobics and enjoy the pool. But I started getting hives and rashes in August. By September 1 I was covered with sores from digging my skin all hours of the day and night. I was told it was dry skin (Having moved from NH to New Mexico) It got worse in spite of all the creams and lotions. I was even put on steroids. That helped - but within two days of stopping them the itch and rash returned. The doctor said it can't be the pool - the pool I use has bromine instead of chlorine - very unusual to be allergic to that. Saw an allergist - nope, can't be the pool. Saw a dermatologist - nope, not the pool. I have all kinds of OTC pills and creams, prescription for creams and pills. Skin clears, I go in the pool for an hour and within 12 hours I want to rip my skin off, in spite of heavy duty anti histimines and all the lotions and creams. Anyone have any suggestions????
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    You could be allergic to Bromine. My pool is a saltwater pool and uses Bromine. Unfortunately, they will treat the pool and not tell anyone...they just do a dump and hope that it mixes on its' own. After those day, my skin will itch, burn, peel, and dry out and my eyes will pretty much swell shut and burn like the unholy fires of H#LL!!! I almost had to go to the ER one time, because the chemical burn was so severe, my parents didn't even recognize my face! Personally, I would rather have chlorine than bromine, but I'm sure everyone is different.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    You could be allergic to Bromine. My pool is a saltwater pool and uses Bromine. Unfortunately, they will treat the pool and not tell anyone...they just do a dump and hope that it mixes on its' own. After those day, my skin will itch, burn, peel, and dry out and my eyes will pretty much swell shut and burn like the unholy fires of H#LL!!! I almost had to go to the ER one time, because the chemical burn was so severe, my parents didn't even recognize my face! Personally, I would rather have chlorine than bromine, but I'm sure everyone is different.
Children
No Data