Early-Vertical-Forearm

Former Member
Former Member
How many use the early vertical forearm method? How many believe it is less prone to shoulder injuries? I tried it for the first time today and it wore my butt out! I did feel like I had more surface area to pull with and the force felt more horizontally directed toward my feet. I have a lot of work to do if I continue to adopt this stroke method.:bolt: www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    So here is a little light on the anatomical make up of the EVF stroke. By popping up your elbow before you take your pull, you engage your lats and then use them along with your pecs for your power. This is a great relief for the shoulder since you are using bigger muscle groups in addition to just your deltoids. :applaud: Continue to practice this technique and you'll find yourself getting stronger and pulling more water. By popping your shoulder up, does this mean bringing your shoulder closer to your ear? I have been really trying to work on this EVF/High Elbow thing and am really starting to have problems with my left shoulder making all kinds of clicking and clacking noises, plus some pretty gnarly pain when pulling. I don't have the pain during sprints, but I think I am not focusing as much on EVF then.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    So here is a little light on the anatomical make up of the EVF stroke. By popping up your elbow before you take your pull, you engage your lats and then use them along with your pecs for your power. This is a great relief for the shoulder since you are using bigger muscle groups in addition to just your deltoids. :applaud: Continue to practice this technique and you'll find yourself getting stronger and pulling more water. By popping your shoulder up, does this mean bringing your shoulder closer to your ear? I have been really trying to work on this EVF/High Elbow thing and am really starting to have problems with my left shoulder making all kinds of clicking and clacking noises, plus some pretty gnarly pain when pulling. I don't have the pain during sprints, but I think I am not focusing as much on EVF then.
Children
No Data