Early-Vertical-Forearm

Former Member
Former Member
How many use the early vertical forearm method? How many believe it is less prone to shoulder injuries? I tried it for the first time today and it wore my butt out! I did feel like I had more surface area to pull with and the force felt more horizontally directed toward my feet. I have a lot of work to do if I continue to adopt this stroke method.:bolt: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I use it, but I don't think it affects shoulder problems one way or another.
  • Former Member
    I just copied this from a previous post. Hope this helps. Every swimmer who moves with a hint of decent propulsion is using a vertical forearm position. EVF runs on a continuum from late vertical (a dropped elbow) to the earliest vertical (a high angle rotation like world record distance swimmer Rebecca Adlington). Every swimmer wants to avoid using a late vertical forearm or dropped elbow. This next statement is for everyone; a cookie-cutter definition of an EVF is simply not possible. Every swimmer wants to improve the early vertical position of their hand / forearm. How early and to what degree your shoulder muscles can achieve that critical propulsive position is dependent upon the swimmers physical limits. So the continuum of a vertical forearm will vary from swimmer to swimmer. On one end of the continuum is an Alain Bernard stroke and on the other Rebecca Adlington. The key point to improving swimming speed is to find the position that allows you to maintain peak drag force (leveraging or pressing water) for the longest time. The "S" shaped pattern is an iatrical part of maintaining peak drag force but cannot and should not be the focus for coaches of beginning swimmers. When you time yourself for 25 yards and find that a certain stroke pattern gives you the most bang for the buck (energy expenditure efficiency), you’re on the right track. Less strokes and faster times is the way you'll find your best pulling pattern. Once you've found the best pattern, duplicate the pattern very slowly in drills so muscle memory can be developed (usually 6 to 8 weeks). You're using a vertical forearm position right now (every swimmer is), how early you can put that forearm vertically is something you'll want to improve without compromising shoulder health. There’s an EVF position out there for everyone and you’ll never have to compromise your body even a little. Good luck and I hope that answers your question.
  • Former Member
    Georgio, Remember that EVF isn't about pulling, it's about setting up the hand and forearm vertically. If you watch my youtube (type in EVF + Swimming) you'll see some great exercises designed to accelerate an earlier vertical position of the bent or straight arm. Remember, you and every swimmer on the planet that moves forward, uses a vertical forearm/hand to propel themselves. Just how early you set your forearm/hand vertically is the thing you should be trying to improve.
  • Former Member
    Yes, I can see that now.....I was dropping my elbow, creating lift, and have been searching for this more efficient :bolt:method. I think it will transform my swimming.
  • Former Member
    Even a small change in your stroke pattern will take time. Try to do isometrics that mimic the change you want and do them for 20 seconds at 80 percent of maximum effort and you'll accelerate your improvement. Good luck.
  • Former Member
    OK I have done about 4.5 hours working almost exclusively on using a early vertical forearm technique over the last 3 days. It does feel like I'm learning freestyle swimming over again. I am using different muscles and it takes full concentration just to stroke and keep my elbows up. I already know this is the right thing and makes so much sense. I can't believe I haven't encountered it before now. I believe basic laws of physics apply here and this technique is far superior to the "dropped elbow" and straight arms most, formerly including myself, swim with. My right arm seems to be learning faster than my left. I use a pull bouy alot, concentrating only on my strokes and only taking a breath when necessary. My motions feel very "robotic" at this stage which I know will smooth out with a rhythm soon. The best way I can describe the freestyle stroke motion I'm making, is my arms feel like a robot spider's legs walking on an imaginary surface, a forearm and hand's depth below the water surface! Think of yourself standing with one arm fully extended in front of you and how little force it would take for someone to push up on your hand. Now bend your elbow at a 90 deg. angle and imagine how much more force your hand would resist. By measuring my arm motions, the cantilever distance of the hand position alone is cut in half, making application of force much less effort! I will be in the water at 5:30 am tomorrow and again at 4:30pm to work on it for about 3 more hours. It's supposed to be in the mid 50s tomorrow morning, considered quite brisk here, so it should be a great swim! Georgio (Incidentally "spellcheck" doesn't seem to work so I hope there are not too many errors!) :bitching:
  • Former Member
    It was about 60 deg. and eerie arriving at the pool this morning with Black Sabbath playing. Got in a good 60 min. more work on new stroke. Right shoulder is complaining a little from the new range of motion. I couldn't imagine trying to gradually work on getting the elbows higher....so I just hiked them all the way up...it's feels a little like paddling a canoe on both sides. Enjoyed swimming with the high school team, although I didn't follow their workout. Coach treated us to some delicious home made cinnamon buns! Hope to go again at 4:30. I get this message when I try spell check: vB Spell installation problem, please notify the webmaster.
  • Former Member
    The range of motion from swimmer to swimmer is different and that means you need to use a swimming pattern that fits you. All I'm saying is that you may have to compromise and find a pattern that's suits you. A pulling pattern should never hurt and when you hear sounds, clicking and such, that isn't a good sign. Working on improving your pulling pattern is a never ending story. Good luck!
  • I had some shoulder pain last spring, 6 months into my swimming comeback after a 25 year hiatus. I found the exercises for shoulder injury prevention on the USA Swimming website very helpful: www.usaswimming.org/.../ViewMiscArticle.aspx I still do them -- Take a look and see what you think.
  • Former Member
    So here is a little light on the anatomical make up of the EVF stroke. By popping up your elbow before you take your pull, you engage your lats and then use them along with your pecs for your power. This is a great relief for the shoulder since you are using bigger muscle groups in addition to just your deltoids. :applaud: Continue to practice this technique and you'll find yourself getting stronger and pulling more water.