Early-Vertical-Forearm

Former Member
Former Member
How many use the early vertical forearm method? How many believe it is less prone to shoulder injuries? I tried it for the first time today and it wore my butt out! I did feel like I had more surface area to pull with and the force felt more horizontally directed toward my feet. I have a lot of work to do if I continue to adopt this stroke method.:bolt: www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • The Benko video made things a lot clearer for me. Today in practice I really felt like I was "grabbing" more water but I knew my hands were not perfectly "vertical". Rather they were slightly angled under my body. Benko does the same thing, despite what she says on the video (check out around 1:30 in the video posted above, and again around 5:15). Maybe this is what everybody meant all along, but for some reason I thought I was trying to keep my full forearm pointing towards the bottom of the pool. Is the key to EVF to get that forearm "paddle" as fully engaged as quickly as possible? That's more a function of the angle of your elbow than the direction you are pointing your hand, right? Or is it a matter of physics that keeping the forearm actually "vertical" is actually more efficient? I found that trying to keep my forearm "vertical" put more strain on my shoulders while angling them slightly under my body didn't. No idea if I'm doing any of this right, but it felt most "right" when I felt like I was trying to "grab" and pull in as much water as possible. Picture the winner of a hand of poker reaching out and "grabbing" all of the chips on the table. Does any of this sound right? Thanks much!
  • The Benko video made things a lot clearer for me. Today in practice I really felt like I was "grabbing" more water but I knew my hands were not perfectly "vertical". Rather they were slightly angled under my body. Benko does the same thing, despite what she says on the video (check out around 1:30 in the video posted above, and again around 5:15). Maybe this is what everybody meant all along, but for some reason I thought I was trying to keep my full forearm pointing towards the bottom of the pool. Is the key to EVF to get that forearm "paddle" as fully engaged as quickly as possible? That's more a function of the angle of your elbow than the direction you are pointing your hand, right? Or is it a matter of physics that keeping the forearm actually "vertical" is actually more efficient? I found that trying to keep my forearm "vertical" put more strain on my shoulders while angling them slightly under my body didn't. No idea if I'm doing any of this right, but it felt most "right" when I felt like I was trying to "grab" and pull in as much water as possible. Picture the winner of a hand of poker reaching out and "grabbing" all of the chips on the table. Does any of this sound right? Thanks much!
Children
No Data